cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installation of client software, how do I make it known to the master server?

ktran10
Level 3

After I've downloaded and installed Netbackup (client software) onto my computer. How do I make it known/register it with the master server?

Does the client software come with any remote API, so that I can configure it directly (without going through the master server)?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You need to add a backup policy on the master for your computer hostname.

You cannot backup without a policy.

Do I need to add the hostname to the master before adding a backup policy?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The client hostname is added in the Clients tab of the Policy. 

There are 4 sections/tabs that make up a policy:
Attributes, Schedules, Clients, Backup Selection.

A client is 'known' to the master after it is added to a Policy.

Genericus
   VIP   

depending on how you client was installed - from the master - the bp.conf server list is populated, from install media it is NOT.

The simplest way is to go to the GUI and under client host properties check the list of servers - it is very important to make sure the master and media servers are included, since if the client does not authorise a system to be a media server, it will not allow backups through that server.

TREE VIEW  - expand NetBackup Management, expand Host properties, select Clients ( note - your client may not appear if it is not in a policy (I created an add a client policy just for this that never runs) )

Find your client in the right hand window, and select it. Right click and select connect - the fields should populate and confirm connectivity. Right click again and select Properties. (pro tip - if you select another client as well that is already configured, the servers to add will appear in gray and you can add them without having to type them in...)

After the Client Properties window pops up, select the Servers tab and verify the master server name and media servers.

Pro tip - Host in the Properties tab, Use specified network interface in the Universal Settings tab, and Client Name: in the Client Name tab  CANNOT be different. the network interface can be BLANK if it is the default, but it must be populated if you are using a backup interface.  

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS