cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent for Oracle RMAN upgrade

Stumpr2
Level 6

Hello support,

I am upgrading NetBackup client on some AIX servers.

They currently are version 5.1 clients with the 5.1 oracle agent.

Their master and media servers have been upgraded to 7.0.1

The clients were recently upgraded to NetBackup 6.5.5 but the Oracle agent was not.

So now the Oracle backups are failing. The Oracle version needs to be upgraded too.

Do I have to first upgrade the oracle agent to 6.5.4 and do a successful backup?

...or can I simply skip the oracle agent upgrade and migrate them both to 7.0.1?

I know that RMAN goes back to verify the last good backup before doing another.

That is why I am concerned that the last good backup was when both the NetBackup and oracle agent were at 5.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You should have no issue going straight to 7. RMAN checks either the contol files or the recovery catalog, if one is installed, for previous backups. I don't see it checking anything within NetBackup.

Marianne?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You should have no issue going straight to 7. RMAN checks either the contol files or the recovery catalog, if one is installed, for previous backups. I don't see it checking anything within NetBackup.

Marianne?

Marianne
Level 6

I haven't had any 1st-hand experience with Oracle backups in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that we've done similar upgrades (skipping versions) at customers without any problems.

Bob, you've got nothing to lose - backups are in any case failing at the moment. Simply upgrade to 7 where the client binaries include all the agents.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What Netbackup provide is a media manager layer to Oracle, not a backup method. I see no issues in jumping from 5.1 to 7.x.

You may need to shutdown Oracle to update the libobk library for Oracle version 8.1.x as it linked in Oracle.

Here is a VERY old tech note, but should give a idea of the process.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH9288

Happy Upgrade :D

Regards

Nicolai