cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentless Vmware restore return error

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Dear Voxers,

I have a problem with a Vmware agentless restore which fails due to error similar to :

Aug 22, 2019 4:40:59 PM - Warning bprd.sfr (pid=23678) cannot set destination platform, dest_clnt_hostname=<client_name>, status=25
Aug 22, 2019 4:40:59 PM - Warning bprd.sfr (pid=23678) Unable to determine destination operating system type. Restore operation may fail if the source and destination operating systems do not match

as described in this technote : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100046286

There is no FW between the master & client.

and when trying to do the restore for the Web UI: 

error agentless restore.PNG

I can't find any Nerbackup/veritas compativily list or matrix for this kind of restores, only the "VMware Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments" document and there is no reference to Agentless restore.

The Client's guest os is Centos 7.5 but also with another OS same problem

The respository for the vxupdate has :

1  server+client 8.2     redhat_x64    vxupdate_nb_8.2_redhat_x64.sja

anyhelp please?

Should I log a log to veritas support?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

Problem resolved,

We did another test restore on both distributions and it worked. I think the problem was related to the VM of destination.. at the moment when we did the first restore tests, the VMs were not responding.. there were several VMware problems.

Thanks @Marianne for your assistance.

Btw: I believe this type of restore (agentless) only works on WebUI and cannot do the same on BAR or Java Console...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Hamza_H 

Seems the documentation for this new feature is not 'quite there' yet.

I read in NetBackup™ Web UI VMware Administrator’s Guide  about the Prereqs an Limitations.

Windows and Linux OS's are mentioned with VxUpdate packages that need to be provisioned. It also says that  ' VMware agentless restores can only be used for the restore of files and folders. '. 
So, my interpretation is that OS and filesystems that are supported for file-level restore (mentioned in "VMware Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments") would also be supported for agentless restores. 

Oh, wait - p.43 says:

Veritas supports SLES, Red Hat, and Windows as the guest operating systems for the target VM.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi @Marianne ,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, I had the same thought, that OS and filesystems that are supported for file-level restore (mentioned in "VMware Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments") would also be supported for agentless restores. 

And according to that and to what you said and unless mistaken the centos7.5 is supported.

PS: P43 of which guide? NetBackup™ Web UI VMware Administrator's Guide? because I can't find what you mentionned "Veritas supports SLES, Red Hat, and Windows as the guest operating systems for the target VM."

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. Esiest if you click on the pdf icon and download the doc. 

NetBackup™ Web UI VMware Administrator's Guide

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/135031700-135031706-0/index  

The extract is from the middle of p.43 (last point just above the next topic).

I do not think it is correct to assume that CentOS is 100% the same as RHEL. 
If you have doubts about that, best to log a support call. 

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hi @Marianne ,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes it is clear that it says : "Veritas supports SLES, Red Hat, and Windows as the guest operating systems
for the target VM." and we tried with both Windows (restore OK) SLES 11.3 (NOK, same problem)

I think there is a problem with linux agentless restores. maybe vxupdate packages..

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

Problem resolved,

We did another test restore on both distributions and it worked. I think the problem was related to the VM of destination.. at the moment when we did the first restore tests, the VMs were not responding.. there were several VMware problems.

Thanks @Marianne for your assistance.

Btw: I believe this type of restore (agentless) only works on WebUI and cannot do the same on BAR or Java Console...