Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Replication or S3 storage replication in Netbackup Enviroment

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

hi guys,

In paper, my environment will have 2 5340 appliances as media servers and 1 RHEL as cloud catalyst media server duplicating images to Hitachi S3 storage (HCP), in the remote site I will have 1 5340 appliance as a media server and 1 cloud catalyst duplicating to Hitachi S3 storage (HCP). I've been doing some research but I not sure here.

Should I Use AIR feature or let HCP replicate the box-to-box to the remote side? The whole point here is that in case of a disaster NetBackup can recover images in the remote site.

Thank you guys.

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need another NBU master server at remote site to configure AIR replication. 

Without another master, you will configure duplication between media servers in the same NBU domain (single master server) .

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi Marianne,

Yes, definitely I will have 2 master servers. one in each side.

Hi 

I would suggest using AIR - this way both master servers know about the replicated backups. If you don't use AIR, then the remote copy is only known by the HCP, and in a disaster (such as losing one site), you would need to import the images to enable recovery (when you really want to start restoring asap). 

As an aside (and blatant plug Smiley Wink)  - have you looked at the Veritas Access appliance - it can be configured as either an S3 target or as an MSDP storage - you would still be able to replicate your backups between sites but with two advantages - they would be replicated using optimised duplication, and you would remove the requirement for the additional RHEL CC media servers (not sure how keen you are for the Hitachi HCP device, and whether it will serve other purposes, so just a suggestion).  

Cheers

Marianne

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Hi Marianne,

Same customer but there are some changes in the architecture.

Thank you.

AndresV
VIP
Partner    VIP   

Thanks David,

We will user SLP so the data flow will be:

For Backups & duplication

client -> media server-> cloud catalyst->HCP

Im not 100% sure for replication, I think it will be like this, am I right?

client -> media server(MSDP)-> cloud catalyst->HCP - replication starts ->cloud catalyst - mediaServer (MSDP) - remote media server (target MSDP) - remote cloud catalyst - remote HCP.

Marianne

I will be great if you could close off previous discussions by marking a solution - even if you post your own solution as answer to the initial query and mark that as solution.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Modify-images-in-order-to-point-new-master-server/td-p/873679

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Direct-Backup-to-cloud-catalyst/m-p/874637

This way, we won't go back to your previous posts to try and get a better understanding of the environment.