cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aix backup runs past scheduled window

K3iTaR0
Not applicable

Hi All,

First time posting here. I apolgize if i miss anything. The problem i have is as follows:

Netbackup: Version 6.5.4

Policy: SVXAPMEL210-BACKUP-02B 

Type: DB2

Data Classification: Platnium

Scheduled Days: Mon-Thur

Scheduled Time: 20:00-8:00

What is occuring here is that the backup does not stop after 8:00 it keeps running which then causes our database to hang and we need to reboot lpar which is running aix 5300-11-01-0944.

I have reviewed the db2 logs but really cant see anything wrong and also created logging directories which im not really sure what to look for. I have checked for <16> but im unsure what else i can do to troubleshoot further any guidance is helpfull.

2 REPLIES 2

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

The scheduled window is the time frame in which a backup job is allowed to START.  There are no features that you can tell NetBackup to automatically kill the job at 08:00.  You can write your own cron job and either kill or suspend the job (I don't know if a DB2 policy supports suspend).

You're not the first person to ask for this feature but I haven't heard yet if it's even being seriously consdiered for implementation in a future releas.

There is a feature request section in this forum - post it there and see how many votes you get.

Stumpr2
Level 6

1. determine if backup starts at 20:00 or is queued at 20:00

2. determine how long the backup usually runs to see if it is abnormal when running late. How much difference is there between your defined window and an average time for the backup to complete?

3. your window crosses midnight so I suggest using frequency based scheduling with frequency set to 12 hours to avoid schedule creeping.

4. investigate using multiplexing if you need more speed.

5. check out your server/infrastructure to see if you can meet expectations

6. NetBackup 6.5 Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide (updated March 12, 2010)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62317