cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert on e-mail about the requirement of the next media

ipmanyak
Level 5

I have  a streamer  HP Ultrium 3280  with one tape drive.

When I see in log message:

08.12.2014 18:28:08 - current media A00017 complete, requesting next resource Any
08.12.2014 18:28:08 - current media -- complete, awaiting next media Any Reason: Waiting for media request delay to expire, Media Server: tmn-backup,
     Robot Number: NONE, Robot Type: NONE, Media ID: N/A, Drive Name: N/A,
     Volume Pool: NetBackup, Storage Unit: tmn-backup-tape, Drive Scan Host: N/A

How to set up notification message alert on e-mail about the requirement of the next media ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no such notification in NBU.

It seems you have a standalone tape drive, not a tape library?

NBU can use standalone tape drives, but as an Enterprise product, it is ideally suited for a tape library where media mounts will be automated.

If your backups do not fit onto a single tape and you need unattended backups, you need to get your company to purchase a tape library with barcoded media.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

There is no such notification in NBU.

It seems you have a standalone tape drive, not a tape library?

NBU can use standalone tape drives, but as an Enterprise product, it is ideally suited for a tape library where media mounts will be automated.

If your backups do not fit onto a single tape and you need unattended backups, you need to get your company to purchase a tape library with barcoded media.

ipmanyak
Level 5

Yes, I have a standalone tape drive, not a tape library. In OPS Center I find a different Alerts but

specifically for "Media complete" the alert isn't present. Perhaps  in OPS Center it is possible to use any another Alert, obviously not specifying it?

I try Alert "An alert is generated when a media mount request is pending" - doesn't work in my case.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

insert new tape and take backups on it

ipmanyak
Level 5

inn_kam

I make it. I need Alert to email that I must to go and change tape.

Marianne
Level 6

If you have enough pre-labelled tapes, a Pending Request should be generated.

Have a look at pending_request_notify script :
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO106057

ipmanyak
Level 5

Thanks, Marianne! I look this article. But there not exist  script. I consulted with techsupport  and they say that pending_request_notify   not working in 7.5.0.6 and problem solved in 7.6 version. But version 7.6 requere  many memory for master server - minimum 8 Gb and I can't  use  it now.

Marianne
Level 6

The sample script is not in 7.6 either - I have just checked goodies folder.

This says to me that this script is probably no longer called by nbrb, so, it will not even help if we find you an older version of the script.

Your only solution is to now go to your management and proof that the amount of data has outgrown a Standalone tape drive and that a small tape library is needed.

Or else get an operator to monitor the backups and change tapes when needed....

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Hi ipmanyak,

Can you tell me what is OS on the server which connected to Tape drive ??  

1. Observe OS level logs/errors at the time of NBU ask next media  

2. Capture some unique error line or error ID & configure OS level alerts as shown below below URL will help you for the same (for windows box)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2010/06/16/getting-event-log-contents-by-email-on-an-event-log-trigger.aspx