cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Local Drives - How is it determined?

hanskniep
Level 4

I was asked this question today and I do not know the answer.

What does Netbackup use to determine what drives are local to the file system for Windows, Unix and linux clients when usinf the "All_Local_drives" directive? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
A command called 'bpmount' runs on the client at beginning of job to determine ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Non-network based filesystem is treated as local drive. In general, CIFS and NFS are not backed up by ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. Detailed list of network based filesystem which NetBackup treat as so is not documented(as far as i know), I'm not sure what happens when any other network based filesystem is mounted.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Hanskniep,

Yasuhisa is correct. From NBU Admin Guide, All_Local_Drives directive to backup all local drives except for those that use removable media. The following drives are not backed up:

• floppy disks
  • CD-ROMS
  • and any drives that are located on remote systems but mounted on a system through the network.

Regards,

Adonis

Marianne
A command called 'bpmount' runs on the client at beginning of job to determine ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

hanskniep
Level 4

bpmount - is that hooking in or using a local filesys command, like df -h or something simular?

Marianne
Your guess is as good as mine. The OS background call will be different for Unix/Linux and Windows clients.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

The way bpmount get file system information is not documented. It may depends on each platform. On Linux, bpmount read /etc/mtab.