Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Policy Type Changed From Oracle to Standard After Master Server Reboot

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

This might sound strange or is this was faced by someone ?? , We did a reboot last friday and after the reboot i can see all the Oracle Policy type changed from ORACLE to STANDARD not only that even the VolumePool changed to ANY and also the MEDIA SERVER also changed to ANY .

Can anybody wats happening ?? Is any case study Available ??

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Its not a bug, its how it works.

If you mistaken use set instead of modify, then you have to specify all the options / attributes or they will be reset to default. Modify it to be used if you want to perform a change of only 1 setting.

• -set initializes or reinitializes policy attributes to their default values, except for those attributes that are specified on the current command line.

• -modify modifies the policy attributes specified on the current command line. The rest of the policy attributes not on the current command line remain unchanged.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

really strange...

are you sure it really due to reboot?

what is the netbackup version .. and OS version?

does it have nbauditreprot enabled..

if yes....run the command nbauditreport and see if it lists any info..

though its lists user name as root, it will list the time and what has been modified.. may be that will give some idea...

if it has some info you can compare with reboot times and all and see if its really related...

RiaanBadenhorst

I've seen that happen if you run bpplinfo -set instead of my -update if you're trying to modify policies.  For instance for deactivating the policies during a maintenance pack installation one would want to have a script that is going to deacitvate the policies, and then another to re-activate them later. When using the bpplinfo command you should use -modify to make changes, -set would revert the policy back to STANDARD, and also reset all other options to defaults.

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hey Ram,

yes because there was a maintenance last friday midnight and all our Archive Backup which are scheduled to run between 6AM to 4:30PM failed and when i checked all the DB poliies changed to STANDARD instead of ORACLE. So the only even occured before this is reboot of MASTER SERVER , I dont know if NBUAUDIT was enabled, Can guide me how to check it ? or location to run ?

NBU Version:-  6.5.4

O.S Version :-   SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (x86_64)

VERSION = 9
PATCHLEVEL = 3

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Riaan, 

Let me check that with my engineers who performed the reboot.

Thanks,

Nayab

RamNagalla

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbauditreport

is the command , and you can run it as root..and see if that returns any results...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO43777

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Audit was not available in the version you're using.

RamNagalla

Riaan is correct....

i just missed the NBU version... sad

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Ram,

I didnot found this command under this directory.

Thx,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Riaan,

Is this General behaviour of this command used with SET option or it is a BUG with MY VERSION ??

Please Confirm , Is this Fixed in 7.XX versions ?

Thx,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please provide if you have any Technote stating this is fixed in the Later Versions or Release note has this Info ??

RiaanBadenhorst

Its not a bug, its how it works.

If you mistaken use set instead of modify, then you have to specify all the options / attributes or they will be reset to default. Modify it to be used if you want to perform a change of only 1 setting.

• -set initializes or reinitializes policy attributes to their default values, except for those attributes that are specified on the current command line.

• -modify modifies the policy attributes specified on the current command line. The rest of the policy attributes not on the current command line remain unchanged.