cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate media server while duplicating backups

karnak
Level 3

Hello,

I started a duplication job of many backups that are on a DataDomain storage server, the destination is a tape library and I'm using a STU with one media server selected which is the only that have access to the tape drives

However, when the job starts, for every single backup image, NetBackup do one ore more attempts to read the image using a media server that is not selected in the storage unit.

e.g.

Media server in the STU = media15

What I see in the job detail = "Media server: media09 -> media15"

A bpimagelist of the backup image, says that media09 is not the server that has been used to do the copy whose duplicate is running

master is a Windows 2012 with NBU 8.1.2
media15 is a Windows 2008 with NBU 8.1.2
media09 is a RHEL 6 with NBU 7.7.3

Is this behaviour by design?

Thank you

db

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Double check which storage unit retains the primary copy of a backup image and then check which media servers have access to that storage unit, and also double check which media servers have access to the target storage unit - and you may well find that several media servers have access to the source, and several media servers have access to the target - and if this is true then, AFAIK, then NetBackup will attempt to use the least busy (in it's own opinion) of media servers.

Genericus
   VIP   

if you are using SLP - in the duplicatoin step - select alterante read server - that allows you to specify the media server to read the data and use to write to tape.

I do this, in fact I have multiple tape media servers and load balance the SLP half to one, half to the other.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

if is manual duplication, from the catalog, can we do alternate read-server ?