cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to run vltopmenu from a remote workstation?

HoldTheLine
Level 4

I need to find a way to allow (non NetBackup) people to run vltopmenu to inject/eject tapes for a smaller library.

Only thing is I am not sure about getting them acces to the Master to run vltopmenu - somewhere along the line a predecessor made the claim that this exe can be run from a remote workstation - and I have not been able to fine any documentation to back that up.

Does anyone know if that is even possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

The vltopmenu and vlteject commands must be initiated from the master server where the vault.xml is located so the VLTEJECT or VLTOPMENU commands will be executed  from a NetBackup master server.

Refernce Link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH89292

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Its not possible to run the command without having the acceess to the Master, to run vltopmenu command it requires sudo/root access frm Master server.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can put the workstation on the server list on the master server. This also mean the workstation has full administrative right to the entire Netbackup installation,

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hey Nicolai,

I have tried excecuting vltopmenu from Media server but it is throwing status 25 error and working fine with master.

HoldTheLine
Level 4

This is what I would have assumed - what threw me off was the claim that it can be run from "any workstation".  Knowing NBU that threw up a red flag right away ... and it makes sense.  Why would any desktop be allowed to run vault commands?!

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

The vltopmenu and vlteject commands must be initiated from the master server where the vault.xml is located so the VLTEJECT or VLTOPMENU commands will be executed  from a NetBackup master server.

Refernce Link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH89292

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Forgot to mention, you need to add to vm.conf server list as well. My bad