cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody perform informix database archive backup (ontape -s) to tape using Netbackup

imra2013
Level 4

Hi friends,

Want to know anybody have done informix database archive backup (ontape -s) to tape using Netbackup.

As in Netbackup the only option is using 'Informix-On-Bar' type to perform Informix database backup.

Currently what I have done so far is like this ;

1. Perform ontape -s command backup to disk -> manual process

2. Use Netbackup to backup to tape  -> automatic process

What i want to achieve is to automate 1st process (means just using netbackup to perform backup)

My current setup;

Master Server = Windows Server 2008 R2

Informix DB Server (also as Media Server) = IBM AIX v7.1

Informix version = Informix V11.7

Veritas Netbackup = version 7.1

Tape Library = Quantum i80 with 4 tape drives (LTO5 tape drives)

Hope someone out there have done similar things (what I want to achieve)

THANK YOU in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to find the onbar equivalent of the ontape command.

Maybe try official Informix sites or forums? Or user blogs?

I have found this link: http://oreilly.com/catalog/unixbr/chapter/ch14.html

This chapter covers the three basic ways to back up and recover an Informix database:

• Physical backups without a storage manager, using ontape
  • Physical backups with a storage manager, using onbar 

PS:

Please reply to your SAN backup post over there and close the post by marking a solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Do you have a copy of NBU for Informix guide?   http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3667 

All that the 'Informix-On-Bar' policy does is to start a script on the Informix client.

You can therefore create a script on the client with the relevant backup commands, or else have a look at the sample scripts in /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/informix/scripts on the client.
Maybe informix_logical_log_backup sample script?

PS:  I don't have any Informix knowledge - just worked with a customer at a previous job that used the agent extensively.

imra2013
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks, but before that just let you know my previous issue (SAN backup) finally resolved.

Accidentally we had power outage, UPS backup also run out that force us to shut down Production Server (Media server). After boot-up, straight away Configure storage devices in Master Server. Rescan tape drives and tape drives detected again. Now 200 GB data backup within 20 minutes, before was 5 hours !

Eventhough 'transport type' still LAN in activity monitors - but don't care.

OK for this thread, we do have informix on bar script and indeed was working. But we now interested to explore archive backup method (which is using Informix ontape utility command). Archive backup was chosen due to fast & easy restore. The script actually backup whole instance plus Level option (0 or 1) included.

Hope this clarifies.

Marianne
Level 6

You need to find the onbar equivalent of the ontape command.

Maybe try official Informix sites or forums? Or user blogs?

I have found this link: http://oreilly.com/catalog/unixbr/chapter/ch14.html

This chapter covers the three basic ways to back up and recover an Informix database:

• Physical backups without a storage manager, using ontape
  • Physical backups with a storage manager, using onbar 

PS:

Please reply to your SAN backup post over there and close the post by marking a solution.

imra2013
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for feedback & the link provided.

Will give a try (definitely)