cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had luck using the CPF1_POLICY parameter with RMAN?

bsb
Level 3

Here is the scenario that I am attempting.

I have an Oracle RAC 11g cluster running on Linux and using NB 7.0 client NB 6.5 Server. I have the same environment duplicated at a remote site. I am backing up my database to Oracle's FRA ("Fast Recovery Area" Disk location in ASM). I then run a backup to tape using RMAN and NB. I would like to use RMAN's duplex capability to write to two different media servers simultaneously. An Oracle document suggested using the CPF{N}_POLICY and CPF{N}_SCHED parameters in the RMAN script. I have tried this. RMAN is making two copies of the backup and I get I can write to both media servers but in most cases the backup copies are being written to the same server rather than the alternate.

Here is my RMAN script:

run {
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL s1 DEVICE TYPE SBT
   PARMS 'ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=bka-01, NB_ORA_CLIENT=oracle-server, CPF1_POLICY=OraDBDefaultApp, CPF1_SCHED=OracleLevel0)';
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL s2 DEVICE TYPE SBT
   PARMS 'ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=bka-01, NB_ORA_CLIENT=oracle-server, CPF1_POLICY=OraDBDefaultApp, CPF1_SCHED=OracleLevel0)';
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL s3 DEVICE TYPE SBT
   PARMS 'ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=bka-01.site2, NB_ORA_CLIENT=oracle-server, CPF2_POLICY=OraDBDefaultApp, CPF2_SCHED=OracleLevel0)';
   ALLOCATE CHANNEL s4 DEVICE TYPE SBT
   PARMS 'ENV=(NB_ORA_SERV=bka-01.site2, NB_ORA_CLIENT=oracle-server, CPF2_POLICY=OraDBDefaultApp, CPF2_SCHED=OracleLevel0)';

BACKUP
      COPIES 2
      BACKUPSET ALL;
}

Thanks

Brian

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You've specified 2 different NB_ORA_SERV parameters, these indicates the master server. You're probably using a single domain with multiple media servers spread across sites, correct?

If so, create 2 schedules, one for local and one for remote, then specify the storage units for each by overriding the storage unit in the schedule, that might work.

bsb
Level 3

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. The Media server 1 would have to have the second media server's storage added to it and then two schedules would be created on media server 1. Is that correct?

So in essence that would be running two backups rather than taking advantage of RMAN's capability to make 1 backup but have multiple copies. Does the CPF{N} parameters not work?

I would rather not run two seperate backups as it would cause more load than having Oracle simply make another copy of an existing backup. Since it has already read the information from Disk it does not have to perform that oepration again where as the other scnario would require reading the same data twice and then creating a new and unique backup versus a copy of 1 backup.

Thanks,

Brian