cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance 5240 new configuration issue

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Hello All, 

My compagny has bought a new backup appliance. It is a 5240. I am now busy running the initial setup. I get an error when I want to set the role of the appliance. 

new.Appliance> Media <MY master server>
- [Info] Checking for connectivity to the master server '<My Master server>'...
- [Info] Checking the CA certificate deployment...
- [Info] Downloading the CA certificate from the master server '<MY Master server>'...

Trust the certificate to continue the role configuration process.
CA Certificate Detail:
Subject Name: /CN=nbatd/OU=root@d<MY Master server>/O=vx
Start Date: Jan 02 09:22:23 2014 GMT
Expiry Date: Dec 28 10:37:23 2033 GMT
SHA1 Fingerprint: xxxxxx

>> Do you trust the certificate? [yes, no] yes
- [Info] Deploying the CA certificate...
- [Info] Checking the host-ID based certificate deployment...
- [Error] Cannot resolve the host name to your IP address. Check your DNS settings.
new.Appliance>

When I go to underlaying Linux:

My-appliance:~ # bptestbpcd -verbose -host <My master server>
<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD( <My master server>) failed: 12
<16>bptestbpcd main: file open failed
<16>bptestbpcd main: Unable to read the certificate mapping file.: 12
file open failed
My-appliance:~ #

Any ideas?

R

4 REPLIES 4

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Have you addressed this error:

[Error] Cannot resolve the host name to your IP address. Check your DNS settings.

if DNS isn't working, certificate validation will often fail.  Foreward AND reverse.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

I checked that, on both, the master and the appliance. I can succesfully do an nslookup of the short name and the full name on both the sides and I can do an nslookup of the ip-address. 

Okay, a couple of things I thought of.  Is your license expired so not all services are running on the appliance?  I see folks forget to apply their license keys to appliances all the time and it creates weird problems like this.

In your nslookup tests (just so I'm clear) did you test looking up the appliance name on the appliance itself, both forward and reverse?  Double check this with the 'dig' or 'host' commands, too.  Since nslookup is deprecated, I think some of the internal name resolution is being shifted away from it, and dig for instance doesn't look at nsswitch.conf to determine where to go for name resolution -- it goes straight to the nameserver.  If that's not working perfectly, this could arise.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

rameshkondeti
Level 2

clearing host cache on appliance and master resolved issue.

please review entry of ip address and hostname on DNS & hosts file ensuring it resolves properly, then run "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" on Appliance, then run configuration again.