Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliance dedup credentials

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi

When i add the target storage server for AIR configuration, it is asking the credentials. I am confused whether i have to give login credential of the target appliance or the deduplication credentials of the target appliance. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO94187#v74711275

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO94379

Above two links are confusing me.

See the attachment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Second link is the one to use. You use the username root, and you get the password form the target appliance as shown in the link you posted.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Second link is the one to use. You use the username root, and you get the password form the target appliance as shown in the link you posted.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Riaan. But i could not see this information in any documents. Hope it will work.

One more question, if i have AIR between source and target domain with two appliance, in what are the situations, it will help me to recover and how ?

Scenario 1

Incase of couple of servers crash and i dont have valid backup in my source domain how do i perform a complete recovery of these systems through wan with total size of lets say 800GB.

Scenario 2

Incase my complete production datacenter down and how do i recover all my production servers from the target backup images.

The source and target with in a distance of 300Km and with band width of 50Mb/s line.

RiaanBadenhorst

AIR is only handy when you want to recover PROD servers at DR. Because AIR uses 2 separate domains it does not help to recover servers in PROD from DR (unless you reverse replicate and then restore). Basically you should use AIR if you have a cold DR and want to perform restores/recoveries in DR.

If you want review more scenarios let me know.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Riaan. Just let me know about below posibility

If my PROD datacenter completely crashed and i move my DR appliance physically to PROD location, is that posible to import and recover my data in PROD. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Ajit,

If you bring the appliance (and master) to prod then you'll have the DR domain located in PROD. The DR domain would contain any backups made in the DR domain, and the PROD domain (replicated via AIR).

Great, you now have your data in PROD. If you would want restore any data to PROD clients you would need to move them from the PROD domain to the DR domain (so that the DR master can control the restore of their data).

Now this is where you'd want to think about what the next steps are, and also tell me more about the scenario you described as "my PROD datacenter completely crashed". What crashed, the appliance, the master, all the servers?

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Sorry, I could not write what i was thinking about the scenario.

The scenario is like, any disaster(flood/fire attack ect) happen in my PROD datacenter and many servers and PROD appliance completely lost. How do i recover the lost servers. Imagin my PROD backup server is live and other situation like PROD backup server also lost. 

Incase of tape offsite, i can recall my tapes and recover the servers. But after configure the AIR we are planing to stop the tape offsiting. But these scenarios are not leaving us to stop the tape offsiting.

RiaanBadenhorst

Scenario 1 - PROD App Gone - PROD Master Alive

You can't do much with the PROD master as it has no backup images on an appliance to restore from. You can bring your DR Master & Appliance to PROD and restore from them (after installing new client servers and joining them to DR master). Or you could buy new appliance and then replicate all backup from DR (but nbreplicate seems tricky if i look at other posts).

Scenario 2 - PROD App Gone - PROD Master Gone

Same as above

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Riaan for the clarification. These suggestions pointing me to not to stop the tape offsiting. AIR will help out efficiently incase the rebuild of PROD servers in the DR site. Physical movement of appliance is not a chaoice when there is a crash of only few servers in the prod datacenter

RiaanBadenhorst

Correct, that is what AIR is for, a complete bloody disaster. You could look into HA for the master, and maybe an additional appliance in PROD to have an additional copy, or at least put it to tape. I still prefer a SFHA/DR type setup instead of AIR, especially if you're not backing anything up in DR.