Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Hang

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all!

Just want to know why we are encountering this, please see picture below.

Quick Server Specs:

System Model: Dell Power Edge R910

Opearting System: Windows Server 2008 R2

RAM: 64GB (32gb usable)

Processor: Intel Xeon E7520 @ 1.87GHz 4 cores

Thank you in Advance and Best Regards!

20 REPLIES 20

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You forgot the pictures.
You also forgot to provide important information such as:
NBU version and the role of this server: Master, Media, Client?
What was happening NBU-wise on the server at the time?
What else is running on this server?
Are you monitoring processes in Task Manager?
Can you save Application log in text format and upload here?

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for your reply.

I've already pasted the picture, will send it again as attached file.

NBU Version 7.5.x.x and this is a Master Server.

Yesterday we monitor the Task Manager and the CPU as I remembered the process is around 5-10% with running Backups and the RAM is around 30- 50%

Will follow up the Application Logs as you requested.

Thanks and Best Regards!

ke the RAM i

standard Windows troubleshooting:

1. have you restarted the server and try again?
  2. any applications installed prior to this happening?
  3. any updates done on the server prior to this happening?

Marianne
Level 6

What makes you believe that the Application Hang is a NetBackup problem?
Did you experience NBU-related issues at this point in time?

Have you opened the entry to look at the details?

On another note - You may want to look at the TLD Control Daemon error - this points to a problem with the robot.

PS: You really need to upgrade - all versions up to NBU 7.6.x reached EOSL on 1 Feb 2017.

Hi Marianne,

Actually this is my client's environment, and they already in the line up of upgrade.

I believed the reason why they're encountering this, is just because the old school hardwares (outdated). Correct me if I'm wrong, I think thats one of the factor.

Hi @manatee

To address your question, please see it below.

1. Not yet doing that.

2. No installed applications

3. We suspected this update/patch done by Microsoft "KB4034664" 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034664/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-kb4...

But we are not sure if that update is one of the factor causing the hang.

Thanks and Best Regards!

doubt it. if it were working before with all those old hardware/software, the only thing that would cause such behaviour is a patch (with Windows patch all the time!) or an application recently installed/changed.

Marianne
Level 6

The first step would be to at least open the error and read the description....

hi,

removed the patch installed if possible and without affecting any applications. if that didn't help, reboot. ;)

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @J_Huggins

This sounds like a communication issue from Robot. Did you use Robtest command?

Please, follow the troubleshooting steps from this TN, and let us know the result.

GENERAL ERROR: How to troubleshoot robot communication issues in Windows

Other thing, you NBU version is very oldest, there are many problema in 7.5.x.x, I suggeste you search for some pathcs from this site.

https://sort.veritas.com/nbu_tools/nbu_hotfix_lookup

Thiago

Hi @manatee

It is necessary to remove the patch that I've mention yesterday?

Thanks and Best Regards!

Hi @Marianne

Noted on this, will try to escalate the issue and will get back to you.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro

Thanks for the TN's, will do that troubleshooting and will get back to you once we've don doing that workaround.

Thanks and Best Regards!

hi  @J_Huggins

what i provided are just list of possible source of conflicts. the enduser have to decide.

i would first exhaust all steps that doesn't require removing anything like doing that robtest.

hth!

Hi @manatee

Ohh.. okay I get your point. :) 

Well need to do that robtest before I take other moves. :)

Thanks and Best Regards!

Hi @Marianne,

Sorry if I took this too long, kindly see attached file to see the logs we've gathered on event viewer.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Marianne
Level 6

So, we see that there was an issue with NBU Console:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 22/10/2017 11:31:39 AM
The program NBConsole.EXE version 7.500.713.1123 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

The question remains - what exactly was the NetBackup admin doing at +-11:30? 

Was he/she trying to browse something that could've timed out and causing the GUI to generate a 'program not responding... ' message?

Was this a once-off problem or does this happen regularly?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Regarding removing the patch ...

One question we always ask, is 'what changed ?'

Usually, the answer in 'nothing'.

Based on this answer we start troubleshooting, only to find sometimes days later that in fact, something was changed ...  With that change being anything, OS, patch, NBU config or anything else you can think of.

Of course, having all the info at the start of the problem, would very often shorten the t/shooting process.

In this case, full marks to you as you have explained that something has changed.

Now, if the issue only started after the patch went on, then it is at the very least, reasonable to consider the possibility that the patch is at least part of the problem.  It may well be  the case that Veritas Engineering need to get nvolved and perhaps it might be found that the MS patch has made a perfectly resonable change, and NBU doesn;t like it, so NBU will need to be fixed.

It is also possible, the the MS patch has changed something 'unreasonable' and that MS need to fix it.

Or, it could be the Veritas will end up needing to talk to MS and come to some compromise - who knows ...

Given the above, it is reasonable to (if possible) remove the patch as a test - to see if it causing the issue, then the relevant parties can get together to find some solution.  It is by far the quickedt way to narrow down the issue - as looking at NBU is not going to easiy show the prolem if the issue ihas been caused more at OS level.  OF course, sometimes it is not possible to remove a patch, what I would suggest in that case would be to find out exactly what the patch does (and yes, that will probably involve calling MS) and then it may be more clear if it is possible that the patch has caused the issue.

Marianne
Level 6

My reason for asking these questions: 

The question remains - what exactly was the NetBackup admin doing at +-11:30? 

Was he/she trying to browse something that could've timed out and causing the GUI to generate a 'program not responding... ' message?

Was this a once-off problem or does this happen regularly?

I once received a call from a customer where attempt to open the policy section of Windows Admin Console simply went to a hung state. 
Event Viewer likewise reported an 'Application hung' error.

The weird thing was that the same thing did not happen using the Java Console.
And of course 'nothing was changed'.

Support Call with Symantec and lots of logs and eventually backline asking for zipped-up 'class' folder revealed that there was a policy.txt file in this folder. 'Someone' decided to save output of 'dir' in the class folder. 
When this file was deleted, all was fine again. 

So, with this history in mind, you will understand why I asked these questions, right?