cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive log backups

martap
Level 2
I've gone through the forum and found a couple of posts asking the same question I'm about to but no satisfying answer, so here goes again; I'm looking for a way to do a backup of only the archive logs using the oracle agent. We're running level 0 backups weekly and level 1 daily. each of these backups end with a archive log backup as part of the policy however I also want to run archive backups multiple times a day and I want it to be initiated from netbackup, so not from the crontab. The reason being, the databases run in a VCS cluster and can run on any of the cluster nodes. Running backups from crontab require us to activate/deactivate cron entries whenever we have a failover, very impractical. anybody?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create a separate policy for archive log backups with a freqency of hourly or whatever schedule you wish.

Get the Oracle DBA to provide a script that will only backup the Archive Logs. Be sure that the script includes the virtual hostname and the Archive log policy name. This script should ideally reside on the share or must be copied to each cluster node. This script name will be in Backup Selection tab.

Script should contain something like this:

connect rcvcat rman/rman<connect-info>
change archivelog all validate;
#resync catalog;

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
SEND 'NB_ORA_CLIENT=<virtual-client>,NB_ORA_POLICY=<achive-policy>';;
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'

backup
  filesperset 4
  format 'al_%s_%p_%t'
  (archivelog all
   delete input);
release channel t1;
release channel t2;
}
exit;

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Create a separate policy for archive log backups with a freqency of hourly or whatever schedule you wish.

Get the Oracle DBA to provide a script that will only backup the Archive Logs. Be sure that the script includes the virtual hostname and the Archive log policy name. This script should ideally reside on the share or must be copied to each cluster node. This script name will be in Backup Selection tab.

Script should contain something like this:

connect rcvcat rman/rman<connect-info>
change archivelog all validate;
#resync catalog;

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'

backup
  filesperset 4
  format 'al_%s_%p_%t'