cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive month's tapes

Alberto89
Level 2

Hi all,
i've NetBackup 7.5 and i need to archive every first week of the month, all the tapes that contains the FULL backup of all policies.
Now i've the following policies and it's relative VOLUME POOL: WINDOWS, LOTUSNOTES, LINUX.
For each policies, there are 2 schedules:
-FULL (run on Friday night)
-Diff (run from Monday to Thursday nights)
When arrives the first week of the month, i don't know which tape contain the FULL (that i need to archive) and which contain the Diff (that i need to reuse the next week).

I found 2 different workaround that are:
-Monday morning i verify which tapes have assigned the VOLUME POOL (every week when i change tapes, i set all as SCRATCH) and automatically i know which tape i've to archive. If Monday i forgot to verify, i've to use the second workaround
-Create a report manually (Tape Reports-Images On Tape) for each tape that are in the library and if there are a session with Schedule=FULL, i archive the tape, else i reuse the tape.

This method is intricate and require time, there is another mode to accomplish this goal?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Easist way would be to add a Monthly schedule to the policy and let that use a MONTHLY tapes volume pool

If you do not allow multiple retentions per media then you could manage with just a Monthly schedule as long as the retention period is different as it will write those to a different set of tape than used for Daily or Weekly backups so they will be easily identifiable

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Easist way would be to add a Monthly schedule to the policy and let that use a MONTHLY tapes volume pool

If you do not allow multiple retentions per media then you could manage with just a Monthly schedule as long as the retention period is different as it will write those to a different set of tape than used for Daily or Weekly backups so they will be easily identifiable

Hope this helps

Alberto89
Level 2

this is another workaround, but require other tapes and this monthly schedule need to run on a new backup window during the week and when people work on the servers that are included in the backup policies. This because the other jobs runs already on the night and weekend, and i cannot add another job.

There isn't a method to store the FULL backup on a VOLUME POOL WIN_FULL e the DIFF on WIN_DIFF, so i know what contains any tape, without need to create report manually or other tasks?

If i select the FULL schedule, right click change (see attachment), i can tell netbackup to store the backup to a specified VOLUME POOL  WIN_FULL and for DIFF schedule to store on VOLUME POOL WIN_DIFF?

If correct, i need to select Override policy storage selection and Override policy volume pool?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You don't need an extra job, just an extra schedule - only one job will run per day

For example, your weekly backup runs on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and last Saturday of the month and your Monthly runs on the 1st Saturday of the month

To answer your latest question .. If your retention periods for Full and Differential backups are different and you do not allow multiple retentions per media (Master server host properties - Media tab) then they will not write to the same tape anyway

There would be no need to override unless you want to use a different volume pool of tape - in which case follow my original reccomendation