Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving a catalog

Sahil_Joshi
Level 4

Hi Folks..

There is space issue on my Catalog.

For some months, we are bound to take all backups with infinite retention.

Thus, we decided to archive the catalog. Now when i archive the catalog, the archival is successull.

When i check it through bpcatlist -online -before-days <> command, after my archival process, i dont see any information in the output. Thus i consider whatever i am archiving is proper. Even no error are seen in activity monitor or in putty session from where i fored the ./bpcatlist command.

But unfortunately i don't see any reduction in my catalog size. Kindly help me identify the issue.

Regards,

Sahil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Sahil,

next time when you run the catalog archvie,

1)check the size of the catalog files which are older then 30 days, and also total catalog size.

2) save the output if bpcatlist in temp file

/bpcatlist -client all -before-days 30 >> /tmp/catlist_olderthen_30days.

2)then run the catalog archive 

3)once catalog archive is successfull, you can again check the size of which are older then 30 days, and also total catalog size

and also run /bpcatlist -client all -before-days 30  to see if you are still finding any files .

this would give some info to identify the cause..

#find /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images -type d -mtime +30   -->would help you find the files older than 30 days.

you can google to find the size of those files you got from find command,  to mix the both commands..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

hi,

you would need to provide the more details.

what is the netbackup verions and Master server OS?

what is the command that you are using to archive the catalogs?

did you see any images in bpcatlist -offline    ?

Will_Restore
Level 6
Presuming unix master: cd /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images du -sk * | sort -n will show you the largest client image directories

Sahil_Joshi
Level 4

Hello Nagalla,

Netbackup version is 7.1 and OS is Linux

Command to archive:

./bpcatlist -client all -before-days 30 | bpcatarc | bpcatrm

Yes, i do see images in ./bpcatlist -offline

RamNagalla

Sahil,

next time when you run the catalog archvie,

1)check the size of the catalog files which are older then 30 days, and also total catalog size.

2) save the output if bpcatlist in temp file

/bpcatlist -client all -before-days 30 >> /tmp/catlist_olderthen_30days.

2)then run the catalog archive 

3)once catalog archive is successfull, you can again check the size of which are older then 30 days, and also total catalog size

and also run /bpcatlist -client all -before-days 30  to see if you are still finding any files .

this would give some info to identify the cause..

#find /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images -type d -mtime +30   -->would help you find the files older than 30 days.

you can google to find the size of those files you got from find command,  to mix the both commands..