cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving files older than a specific date

rsm_gbg
Level 5

I have a perl script that finds files older than a specific date, like older than 2012-01-01 00:00.0

It then moves these files from a data directory to an Archive area.

Then I use a standard Netbackup Policy that backups these files to LTO tapes in an Archive Volume Pool with infinity Data expiration.

When on tape and verified I delete the archived files.

I investigated the archive option in "Backup Files" but that really takes the lot not on a date specification.

Any ideas how to get Netbackup doing this automatically?

Netbackup Enterprise 7.1.0.3 running on Solaris 10 SPARC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Archiving is a schedule type - User Archive. The Policy type will be Standard for Unix clients and MS-Windows for Windows clients.

It can be called from the BAR GUI on the client or from cmd on the client.

See User Archive on p. 631 of NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

Archiving in NBU is not meant as an Archiving solution and can only be done manually.

You can use 'bparchive' as the last part of your script. It will backup your folder and only delete after backup has completed successfully. Create a new policy for the client with archive type schedule and open window during which user archives will be allowed or else add archive schedule to existing policy.

Command:

bparchive -help
USAGE: bparchive [-p policy] [-s schedule] [-k "keyword phrase"]
           [-L progress_log [-en]] [-S master_server...]
           [-t policy_type] [-w [hh:mm:ss]]
           -f listfile | filenames

Example:
bparchive -p <policy-name> -s <schedule> -L <logfile>  /arch-folder

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

Use bparchive command to archive the files ans get delete after the files are archived.

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Ok, thanks that was what I thought as well.

Is there a product that does just this?

Marianne
Level 6

Symantec has a product called Enterprise Vault, but it's for Windows only - filesystem, Exchange and Sharepoint archiving.

For Unix, we don't really have an archiving solution, other than maybe Dynamic Storage Tiering that comes with Storage Foundation. Rules are configured to move older (or some other criteria) files to lower tiered storage.

I don't know non-Symantec products....

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

Usually for unix you have to write our own script to archive the files and delete after successful backup

Marianne
Level 6

bparchive will delete after successful backup.

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Isn't there a way of selecting archiving in a policy.

Or do I have to run it from the command line?

Can't find any Archiving in the "Policy Type" drop list.

Marianne
Level 6

Archiving is a schedule type - User Archive. The Policy type will be Standard for Unix clients and MS-Windows for Windows clients.

It can be called from the BAR GUI on the client or from cmd on the client.

See User Archive on p. 631 of NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650