cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are LPARs covered under Ent. Server License vs. Ent. Client License

Jay_Son
Level 5

Do i need to purchase client licenses for each LPAR built under our managed systems. Each of our managed systems have Media Servers (w/ ent, server licenses). We are on traditional lic. model.

Our IBM environment consists: Managed sytems

P720, P770, s824, and (new) Flex System 7893 92x

Marriane? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct, see the sentence at the end of the paragraph "Specifically, AIX LPAR follows the general virtualization licensing; license at the physical server (e.g. license for the ESX server and one license for any application/DB being protected)".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

IBM Logical Partitions (LPAR)
When using IBM logical partitions on zSeries (zSeries LPARs) for host virtualization, each LPAR must be licensed as a separate physical host, and each IFL (Integrated Facility for Linux) assigned to the LPAR must be licensed for the corresponding Tier (1-4), i.e. each IFL is considered to be a Linux processor socket on the host LPAR. For IFLs, one Standard Client license per IFL is the requirement. Please refer to the NetBackup Hardware Tier Matrix in order to select the correct server tier. NetBackup client support for Red Hat Linux and SUSE Linux on IBM’s zSeries is licensed per IFL or per virtual machine.
Specifically, AIX LPAR follows the general virtualization licensing; license at the physical server (e.g. license for the ESX server and one license for any application/DB being protected). For zSeries LPARs, apply the applicable tiering

Jay_Son
Level 5

We do not own any IBM zSeries. the systems we have are listed above.

We are running a media server on managed systems as LPARs, I thought we only  need a single Enterprise Server license for the physical frame.  Correct me if i'm wrong, an Enterprise Server License includes or covers any filesystem clients that are LPARs in that frame. If we did not have any media/master server on this managed system then we would need an Enterprise Client License. correct?

RiaanBadenhorst

Correct, see the sentence at the end of the paragraph "Specifically, AIX LPAR follows the general virtualization licensing; license at the physical server (e.g. license for the ESX server and one license for any application/DB being protected)".

Jay_Son
Level 5

My understanding of that sentence is: a single Enterprise Server License OR a single Enterprise Client License per physical Manged System (eg. p770) WILL cover any LPARs we build.

Here is an example:

Our IBM p770 holds LPARs that are master and 2 media servers, 17 client LPARs, 8 DB2 and ORACLE DB LPARs, and 9 Application LPARs.

According to the sentence above, "general virtualization licensing",  the only licenses we need to purchase for this (physical) IBM p770 are:  

1 - NetBackup Enterprise Server

1 - NetBackup Application and Database Pack

And this covers ALL the LPARs

Correct?

RiaanBadenhorst

Looks right, at the correct TIER of course.