cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach SAS tape drive to VM with Netbackup 7.6 running on Hyper-v 2012 R2

curcloin
Level 4

I don't know if this is supported or not but I'm trying to install NetBackup on a hyper-v VM and attach an IBMTS2900 to that VM.  I don't know if the pass through will work.  Is the installation of Netbackup 7.6 Master/Media server supported on a 2012 r2 Virtual Server?  The only reason why I was trying not to install 7.6 on the 2012 R2 host is the event we would want to move to Server Core.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Media Manager storage units (tape) is not supported in a VM. Only Disk STU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Media Manager storage units (tape) is not supported in a VM. Only Disk STU.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

It will probably not work as Hyper-V does not support passing through SCSI tape devices as default

If it just a test machine you could install a tape emulator software like firestreamer on the VM.

Requires a little manually setup in Netbackup as tape emulation software devices is not a supported devices.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Found this https://www.starwindsoftware.com/download-starwind-tape-redirector, that might help you.

But would only use it for a test setup, not for a production environment.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue