cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to clean external SAS LTO drive, results in error message (NBU 7.6.0.1)

quantum-it
Level 4

When attempting to run a cleaning cycle on my external LTO5 tape drive, I insert a cleaning tape, and I go to Device Monitor ->

The error message is:

"The following error occurred while attempting to clean drive

IBM.ULT3580-HH5.000 on server

daemon cannot obtain sock (58).

Do I need to label or catalog the cleaning media in NBU, before I can use it to clean the drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Drive Cleaning in NBU is meant for a robot with a barcode reader with cleaning tapes known to NetBackup.

With standalone tape drive, you simply pop the cleaning tape into the drive when the cleaning light comes on.

If NBU was aware of the fact that the tape drive was in need of cleaning, reset drive cleaning stats from cmd with 'tpclean -M drive_name'. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43740

As per my post in your other discussion - NBU is better suited to be used with a tape library with a barcode reader.
You have an Enterprise product. Use Enterprise devices with it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Drive Cleaning in NBU is meant for a robot with a barcode reader with cleaning tapes known to NetBackup.

With standalone tape drive, you simply pop the cleaning tape into the drive when the cleaning light comes on.

If NBU was aware of the fact that the tape drive was in need of cleaning, reset drive cleaning stats from cmd with 'tpclean -M drive_name'. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO43740

As per my post in your other discussion - NBU is better suited to be used with a tape library with a barcode reader.
You have an Enterprise product. Use Enterprise devices with it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - A clening tape cycle is controlled  from the drive beyond the control of Netbackup

The error mesage you see must be related to the clening cycle - but it not related to the cleaning tape itself.