cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-assignment of tapes in logical library

Satyajit_Pal
Level 3

Hi,

I have been facing a problem with tapes.

Most of the times required tapes are already available in the physical libraries, but not assigned to any logical library. At the same time, if i run the inventory on the master server, i can't see the tapes. So each time, I have to confirm with the data center person to know the status of the tapes and then i assign it to logical libraries.

Can it be possible, that the moment any tapes get loaded to the library, it will be auto-assigned to the concerned logical library? Please advise.

Thanks,

Satyajit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

huanglao2002
Level 6

IBM TS3500 Tape Library. web console can assign the tape drives to you logical tape library.

Can you call you hardware vendor?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sounds like a  function that your library management software should perform?

This does not sound like a NBU issue.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, this cannot be done from NetBackup.

The assignment of tapes is done totally within the library and this procedure is invisible and not accessible by NetBackup.

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the library has multiple partitions then generally it would prompt the user upon loading tapes into the load port to select the partition they should be assigned to.

If you library however only has one partition then you should be able to set it to do it automatically

The Quantum i500 is a classic example that does this - even when it only has one partition by default it prompts on the display .. and there is no where in the Web Interface to change the setting either!

Let us know which library you have to assist further but for an i500 it can be done from the front panel via System Settings - Manual Cartridge Assignment - disable

Hope this helps

Satyajit_Pal
Level 3

Thanks Mark.

I have been trying this for IBM TS3500 Tape Library.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Maybe an IBM badged i2000 - check the User Guide for it to see if there is an option from the front panel to change how it assigns tape to partitions

huanglao2002
Level 6

IBM TS3500 Tape Library. web console can assign the tape drives to you logical tape library.

Can you call you hardware vendor?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, but the OP was asking if this can be done from NetBackup, which unfortunately is not possible.