cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto image replication effect (Changing IP address of DR Site Master Server)

Noman_Siddique
Level 3

We are using the 3-Tier Architecture on PR Site where NetBackup Appliance 5240 is configured as a Media Server and Master Server is on Linux Platform.

While on DR Site we are using the NetBackup Appliance 5240 as a Master Media Server, As we have configured the Auto Image Replication from PR to SR Site, Due to some reason we have to change the IP of the NetBackup Appliance 5240 on DR site that is working as Master Media Server.

I want to know that what can be the effects of changing the IP Address on Auto Image Replication (AIR).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My 2c:

You need to confirm that forward and reverse lookup is working fine at OS-level after IP change. 

If you are using /etc/hosts files anywhere, you need to double-check that the IP address is changed in all hosts file. 

If you are using DNS, confirm that changes have taken effect in DNS and that nslookup (forward and reverse lookup) is working correctly. 
If firewall rules were configured, update that too. 

Reboot the Appliance after IP change and clear host cache on Prod master server.
Test connectivity in all directions with bptestbpcd.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Its totally fine from Netbackup/ Appliance point of view. On network / firewall you’ll need some changes

Marianne

My 2c:

You need to confirm that forward and reverse lookup is working fine at OS-level after IP change. 

If you are using /etc/hosts files anywhere, you need to double-check that the IP address is changed in all hosts file. 

If you are using DNS, confirm that changes have taken effect in DNS and that nslookup (forward and reverse lookup) is working correctly. 
If firewall rules were configured, update that too. 

Reboot the Appliance after IP change and clear host cache on Prod master server.
Test connectivity in all directions with bptestbpcd.

Hi all,

Is this working also to non-appliance? I mean software base?

Thank you and best regards!

Jonas

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

In short yes, no problems.  I have previously successfully re-IP'd appliances.  Remember, NetBackup really only cares about names, and does not really care about IP addresses (as long as you never configure using an IP address).

As you plan well, and make sure all sources of names are updated, and that you flush NetBackup's own cache at the appropriate times, then you should be ok to re-IP a NetBackup Appliance.