cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Backup and Default Application backup.

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

For Database policy configuration. I know that Default Application will created automatically when creating automatic backup.

Now My Question.

Do I need to specify backup schedules to default application backup. or it will depend on the automatic backup.

Base on my experience when creating a backup policy for database. Only the autonatic backup that I seeting up for backup windows and schedules. I am not configuring the default application backup. When the automatic backup run the default application will also run.

I need ur explanation about this, one of our customer asking for clarifications for this,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Application backup schedule is similar to user backup schedule. When you initiate DB backup by automatic backup schedule, DB agent raise backup request to master server for each piece of backup generated in DB. Application backup is necessary to receive and handle these requests.

In most case, you don't need to change start window of application backup. If you would like to prohibit backups in some time frame, close start window.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Application backup schedule is similar to user backup schedule. When you initiate DB backup by automatic backup schedule, DB agent raise backup request to master server for each piece of backup generated in DB. Application backup is necessary to receive and handle these requests.

In most case, you don't need to change start window of application backup. If you would like to prohibit backups in some time frame, close start window.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
In addition to above excellent explanation, you may want to read up in the relevant Agent manual for your db about the role of the 2 schedules. The Application Backup needs open windows during which user requests are allowed. The default is 24x7. Important to note that the Application Backup schedule determines the backup retention, not the Automatic schedule.

richardsantos
Level 5
Partner Accredited

meaning i dont need to modify the default application backup? 24x7 is the default. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Correct. Just change the retention level if you don't want the default of 2 weeks. We have seen posts here where users have set the retention in Automatic schedule to longer time and then very surprised when they could not restore after 2 weeks.