cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Inventory on Sun/StorageTek SL8500 using ACSLS

Fred2010
Level 6
Hi,

I recently saw some posts on automatic inventory, which seems to be available on some robots.

We recently started using a Sun/StorageTek SL8500 robot (With 7.1 ACSLS server, LibAttach 1.4.1).

I was wondering if this combination can also do an automated inventory and update the medialist without my manual intervention.

We are using Netbackup 6.0 (MP3) on Windows 2003 Enterprise server.

Anybody know if it can be done and how to configure it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Manfred
11 REPLIES 11

Stumpr2
Level 6
On the NetBackup admin console select media and then right mouse click to bring up inventory robot. Select device host, robot and volume database host. Then click on Update volume configuration and start.

Fred2010
Level 6
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your answer, but I meant something else:

I would like the robot to send out a signal to Netbackup, as soon as new media are entered into the robot...

I would like to have my medialist updated automatically as soon as new media become available in the robot...

VNR_VNR
Level 3
If you want it to run itself you could try with the obscure options of the comand vlteject with the inject option, this runs an inventory of your ACS.

You can do this only if you have the Vault Module.

Anyway you can spy the vlteject Vault command by tailing the detail.log of the session from you lauch inject, to get the command.

It seems hard but you've got it.

Fred2010
Level 6
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, but my problem is I have no idea when the operator enters new tapes in the robot.

The operator unfortunatly can't get access to any Netbackup software menu's from vault (Which we do have)...

So having the robot send a 'I have just entered new tapes signal' to netbackup itsself would be a solution...

Using vltinject I'd have to run that multiple times a day (Scheduled), just to 'catch' the moment when the operator has done his job...

I understand that an AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT flag is available for TLD robots, which causes Netbackup to auto inventory.

My question is if something like that is available for ACS systems like mine...

Stumpr2
Level 6
AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT is an unsupported feature that stopped working a few versions ago.

Fred2010
Level 6
Hi Bob,

Strange, as the option is still mentioned in the PDF book "Media Manager Admin Guide for version 6.0"

Are you sure?

Stumpr2
Level 6
When I said a few versions ago I meant around 3.4/4.5
I used it and had a problem with ltid crashing.
I called support for help and they told me it was unsupported.
I stopped using it back then.
It looks like it has been resurrected and blessed for support :)

ANATOLY_SAVCHUK
Level 3
2Manfred Engels:
How you install this configuration? Do you have problems?

Phillip_Weingar
Level 2
Add the following to the vm.conf:

AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT

h_m
Level 6
And don�t forget to stop and start NBU.

There is a bug in NBU 6.0 where the auto update behaves erratically. Sometimes it will work, other times it will fail.

Joe_Pfeiffer
Level 4
Auto update robot monitors direct attached robots for a "unit attention" command which is sent any time the contents of the library change due to operator intervention - opening the front door, accessing the I/E slots etc. Since we use an API to communicate with ACS controlled libraries the unit attentions are hidden. There is a ACS setting that will pull tapes into the library but you will still have to inventory to pick them up. Auto update robot is a fully supported feature but only with TLD or TL8 controlled libraries that are directly attached to a media server.