cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically check Netbackup for activity and jobs starting ?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Hello

We have had an issue where Netbackup was standing still, but all the services was up

We wonder what others do to automatically check Netbackup for activity and expected jobs starting up

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lars_Hesdorf
Level 2
This command gives all activity for last 5 minutes # bperror -all -U -d `gdate --date="-5 minutes" +"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S"` Need to have GNU date command installed! If 5 minutes if too small then just inrease minut argument. At least this gives an idear of system is active or not. If nothing meaningfull comes from this command then I think situation with 99.99% confidence is that system is hung.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe run 'nbpemreq' on a regular basis? Even put it in OS scheduler and email output to 'someone-who-cares'?

nbpemreq -predict_all -date <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS>

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Marianne, but I don't understand how that caches netbackup stand still

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6

This is the problem with gathering too much info over the years - indexing system is not working!

I'm trying to find a TN - something about scheduled backups not starting automatically after abnormal shutdown of master... Even my Google skills are letting me down crying...
Will be back if I find anything.

You did not mention your OS or NBU patch version?
Was there 'abnormal shutdown' of master recently?
Can manual backups be kicked off when this happens?

**** EDIT ***** 

Found the TN. It's quite old and was supposed to be fixed in 6.5.2, but I know for a fact that I've seen this in an early 7.x installation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61569

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Did not mention versions as this was general inquiry about what people do to catch this siuation, where everything looks fine but the system is attucally not running any backups.

Our version is currently 7.5.0.4  on Windows 2008 R2 MSCS.

But the master didn't shutdown, because then it would have failed over to the other node.

Marianne
Level 6

We run 'nbpemreq -predict_all ...' to ensure that our interpretation of schedules is the same as NBU's.

Else, check system logs and nbpem logs for errors.

Lars_Hesdorf
Level 2
This command gives all activity for last 5 minutes # bperror -all -U -d `gdate --date="-5 minutes" +"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S"` Need to have GNU date command installed! If 5 minutes if too small then just inrease minut argument. At least this gives an idear of system is active or not. If nothing meaningfull comes from this command then I think situation with 99.99% confidence is that system is hung.

Lars_Hesdorf
Level 2

And if need for creating an automated e-mail then embed the bperror command into

gtimeout 10s bperror -all -U -d `gdate --date="-5 minutes" +"%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S"`  >/dev/null 2>&1; if [[ $? == 0 ]] ; then .....

gtimeout yet another GNU command worth knowing.

That will also catch situation NetBackup not started at all and bperror not responding.