cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically tapes moves from define media pools to Netbackup pool after retention period expired.

Shashank
Level 4
I had created number of media pools for arround 25 tapes & these bundle of tapes i use for daily backup with a retention period of a week.But after completion of retention period,these tapes is automatically moves to netbackup pool.Due to this i need to again move these tapes to particular define media pool.Is that any one face this problem with NBU 6.5.3.
13 REPLIES 13

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Hi Shashank,

When you insert new (fresh) media , and inventory it, you can specify which volume pool it will go into (Default is netbackup). After completion of retention period, tapes WILL go back to the volume pool where it was first inventoried.

-Rajeev

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
I thought that would only happen if Netbackup took the tape from the pool, not if the pool was changed manually. And the Netbackup pool isn't normally used as the scratch pool.

Shashank, do you have a separate scratch pool?  What do you get for 'vmpool -listscratch'?

--
Darren

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL = NO

try putting that in your vm.conf.

Shashank
Level 4
I have rune nbemmcmd -changesetting -RETURN_
UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL no -machinename (hostname of master server) & it works.

Stamp79
Level 3
I am using 6.0MP5 is the syntax the same... is there a registry or file or gui setting I can use to change this?

Will_Restore
Level 6
nbemmcmd  -changesetting  -return_unassigned_media_to_scratch_pool no  -machinename <servername>
take note of all the hyphens

Stamp79
Level 3
That worked!!! So I selected yes so that it will return to scratch because that is where it pooled it from. How do I verify that the Netbackup Pool Media is really ready to be scratch (empty)?

Will_Restore
Level 6
if you want media to go to  Scratch pool select  yes
if you want media to stay in current pool select  no

Netbackup pool cannot be Scratch.  Other pool can be Scratch but it makes sense to name Scratch pool 'Scratch'.

Stamp79
Level 3
I selected yes for it to go to scratch... but the media that was assigned to netback before i changed it is still in Netback volume pool. Do i just RIght click and change it all to scratch? I want to make sure there are no "valid" (non-expired images on it). I will make sure all my policies are not using the netbackup pool and if not change them to scratch.

Will_Restore
Level 6
this setting works on newly expring media not existing expired media

yes, if you want to change old expired media to Scratch you can do that
it won't let you change volume pool unless it has no images

do not use Scratch pool in your policy attribute; that's just wrong
think of Scratch as "free" for use, not "used" for any old thing

Stamp79
Level 3
The individual policies have different pools that pull from scrach as they need to. How can I see if there are images on a volume pool?

Will_Restore
Level 6
in the GUI, media in use will have Time Assigned and Data Expiration

Francis_Doran
Level 4
You could always create a set of barcode rules (using the vmrule command) for each of your tapes and assign them to a specific volume pool, that way when images expire, netbackup will assign that media to the correct volume pool rather then send it back to a scratch pool.