cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP FAILING WITH ERROR 48

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Experts,

Yesterday we have changed IP address of a CLIENT MACHINE right from that the backup is failing for that CLIENT with error 48, Can anybody help me plzz.

Thanks 

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If your network guys cannot sort it out and you need to get the backups done then just use hosts files all round ...

master and media servers ip addresses on the client

clients ip address on the master and media servers

then do the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache on them all to flush out any old IP addresses held anywhere

As NetBackup uses only tcpip you backups will then work successfully regardless of any DNS issues

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Sorry FOLKS im in hurry i made a typo its not 47 its 48 error

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bperror -S 48 -r
client hostname could not be found
The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name.

Verify that the client name is correct in the following:

The NetBackup policy configuration on the master server.
* The General tab in the following dialog boxes: NetBackup Client Properties and Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type (on Microsoft Windows and NetWare nontarget clients). To display these dialog boxes, start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the client. For the General tab, click NetBackup Client Properties on the File menu; click Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type on the File menu.
* The bp.conf file on UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh clients.
* The bp.ini file on NetWare target clients.
* On clients and servers, verify that the name service is set up to resolve the NetBackup client names correctly.
On UNIX and Linux clients, verify that the client's host name is in the /etc/hosts file or the YP hosts file or NIS maps
Have you tried to 'ping' the client from the master and media server?
First of all, check that spelling of client name is correct in the policy, then try to ping the client name.

If ping fails, check the name resolution used in your environment - either hosts files or DNS.
If hosts, verify entries on master and media server for the client.

Please also check if client has hosts entries for master and media server.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Yes ping is fine the client is pinging fine from both MEDIA and MASTER server.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

whenever i go to CLIENTS TAB in master server and select that particular client and see the properties it says like --> PING FAILED ON HOST (<IPADDRE>)

please check the screen shot.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Please check the detailed staus in the below Screen Shot

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Maria ,

And i checked with my windows admin he sed everything fine at the DNS side. So please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Nayab

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

What does "bptestbpcd -client <client name> -debug -verbose" show?

From both teh master and the media serves.

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us output of the following on media server svaubk02:

nslookup svausec01

Do the same on the master server.

Which OS is Master? Media server? Client?

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

O.S of MASTER, MEDIA, CLIENT servers is WINDOWS 2008 R2

let me check with that command 

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

On master server 

c:\>nslookup svausec01

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

server: Unknown

Address: 10.10.6.11

DNS request timed out

timeout was 2 seconds

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds

*** Request to unknown timed-out

On Media server

c:\>nslookup svausec01

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

server: Unknown

Address: 4.4.2.2

DNS request timed out

timeout was 2 seconds

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds

*** Request to unknown timed-out

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Doesn't really look like DNS is working to me.

Think you need to go and poke your Windows Admin with a DNS manual.

Martin

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Do you mean to say that this problem raised as we have changed the ip address on this CLIENT coz backups for other clients running succesfully and completed with no errors 

or this is a problem with DNS for this particular CLIENT

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think the cause of the issue is fairly clear.

"Yesterday we have changed IP address of a CLIENT MACHINE right from that the backup is failing for that CLIENT with error 48"

You could ensure that the master and media server have the correct entry for the cllient in the hosts file.

If DNS is meant to be used, then there would be no need for hosts file entries, but only you know what should be being used in your environment.

Persoanlly, if DNS is used, it would be good to have hosts file entries as well, so that if there is a DNS issue, the servers fail back (*)  to using the hosts file, to prevent backup failures.

(*  On unix, the resolv.conf file controls the order name resolution is done, eg. use dns, if that fails use /etc/hosts file)

I am not a windows admin, and I am not sure how you control this in windows. but your windows admin should know this.

Martin

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Yes, we are using DNS only and i do have knowledge about HOSTS file let me check this myself

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sure - a requirement for NBU to work is that the servers (master/ media/ cllient) can fully resolve (forwards and backwards) the names of the machines that contact them.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

Deadly silence today....

I'm wondering how ping was working 'fine'?

Please show us output of the following on master and media server:

ping svausec01

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Can you please let us know the OS of your master and media ? I am assuming your master & media server is running on windows machine ,

Check the host file entries in your master and media server, as you mentioned in your post that you have changed the ip of a client and after that started facing issues. As per your post it is sure that ip address is not properly matched with the client name , i.e. some where it is reffering to the old ip address.

On the Master and media server go to the path  "windows\system32\drivers\etc"  and open the hosts file.

Assuming that you client name is "ABC" and old ip address of ABC client is 10.122.125.150. Check on the host file entires is any of this client name of ip address is persent with name ABC or IP address 10.122.125.150 , if so remove it and change it to proper ip address which you newly assigned. Else the new ip which you changed for cleint "ABC"  may be using by another client and it was present in the host file.

If all your machines are in DNS then you can try pinging the client name form any other machines and check whether the changed ip is reflecting properly for the client " ABC" over there also. If every where IP address and client name matches properly then your client should communicate.

Then on the master and media server run the below command this will clear the old cache entires i.e previous entries of the client, bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

and then try the "bptestbpcd -client <client name>" on master and media server . It should resolve the ips properly.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi All,

Mark suggested me to CLEAR the host cache with the below command to be run on both MASTER & MEDIA server , i am gonna try this today will this cause any Impact or downtime, as per my knowledge when i clear the cache it will rebuild again referring to DNS or HOSTS file. Correct me if i am wrong

experts guide me accordingly???

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Marianne
Level 6

Please tell us first - is nslookup now working?

Can you ping the client using hostname (not IP address)?

There is no use clearing NBU host_cache when name lookup at OS level is not working.

Clear host_cache when OS lookup works. This will refresh NBU own cache, otherwise wait about 1 hour, after which NBU will automatically refresh host cache. No restart needed.

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136792

When and how to clear the NetBackup host cache