Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAR Warning: Unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria

James_Shaw
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I'm unable to restore backups for a VM via the BAR console. It is basically a file server. I can see the Backups in the time line view mode, however I am unable to restore any one of them.(Screenshots are given below)

I've tried this from both the Master Server and the client, however both give the same error.

Warning shown in the BAR Console:

Timeline view.jpg

Snapshot client options:

VM client options.jpg

VM: KVM

NBU Master and Media Server: Windows Server 2008 Standard

My NBU Master and Media server are the same.

VM Client Server: Windows Server 2012

Source and Destination client Hostnames are same, and NBU Server Hostname is also same as the one when taking backups.

9 REPLIES 9

James_Shaw
Level 3
Partner

Update: Please note that the error is only showing up for this client. All the other clients in the policy don't have this error.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Two things -

1. If you are trying to restore individual files and folders inside a VM, then did you select the "Enable File level recovery from VM backup" option in the policy.

2. What option are you selecting while browsing the files. There are multiple options under "Select for Restore". In order to select individual files and folder you need to select "Restore from Normal File". If you want to restore the complete VM then select "Virtual machine backup"

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

OK. If it shows only for one client it means the backup for this client might have failed to take individual files backup... Can you check the backup for this client if it was successful.

Also can you please post bpVMreq from the client where you open BAR GUI. If the log is not there, you need to create the folder bpVMreq and set the logging verbosty to 5.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Does this happen when you browse both vm and file level backups? Or just one of the two has the error?

Can you run bpimagelist -client "Client VM Name" -hoursago 800 -L to check if you got the right name.

James_Shaw
Level 3
Partner

Can you please guide me where to create the "bpVMreq"(on the master server or the client)? and how do I set the logging verbosity to 5? Do you mean the registry change as follows:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP
Value: vmcloglevel

Value type: DWORD

Unit: second

Input range: 1 to 6 (default = 0)

James_Shaw
Level 3
Partner

- I checked and it only happens on the file level backups.

- I also checked the bpimagelist -client "Client VM Name" -hoursago 800 -L command and it did give me a result. This proves that the name is right.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

You need to create the log on the machine where you are trying to browse the backups using BAR GUI.

You can raise the verbosity either from admin console->host properties->logging OR with the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\VERBOSE set to 5

James_Shaw
Level 3
Partner

I've opened up a case with Symantec Support and will post the appropriate resolution when the issue has been resolved.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am curious to see full policy config.

Please show us output of 'bppllist <policy-name> -L'.