Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLAT not working with nbmail.cmd

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

I have configured the BLAT is the following way:

1. downloaded blat version 262 and kept it on C:\bla\blat262\full

2. used the following command (as per article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/254809.ht)

C:\bla\blat262\full>blat -install server address sender email address

3. created a testfile.txt and tested the outgoing mail using blat C:\bla\blat262\full>blat C:\testfile.txt -s test_subject -to sender email addr
     and received the email perfectly.

4. i didnt do any changes on the nbmail.cmd coz i read in the forum that the lastest version doesnt require any changes. see the post below

-i and -server were not necessary with the latest version of Blat as the command will use the settings from blat -install. Following the Symantec tech document 254809 was key for getting blat installed and configured and the NBU notifications configured. Its important to note that if you use the latest version of blat and follow the tech doc with the blat -install options, omit the -i and -server paramaters in the nbmail.cmd file on the blat lines.

I ran a job but after the job is successfully finished no mails arrive, it is required by netbackup to run catalog after completion to send email coz i have configured catalog to run only on scheduled jobs.

What changes do i need to do on the nbmail.cmd? i have also tired changing the nbmail.cmd script with following:

@IF "%~4"=="" (blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i -server my smtp server name -q)
ELSE (blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i -server my smtp server name -q -attach %4)

but still no mails pass coming by after the job is done.

i have also added the email address in the Host Properties--->Universal Settings--->Cleint Administrator Email Address but still nothing happened.

Can some one tell me where i am going wrong? Also where will nbmail.cmd idetify the BLAT path to send email?

Thank You

Abby
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

These are the changes i did on my test server with Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with Netbackup 6.5.3:

1.  Unzipped BLAT and copied the blat.exe on C:\windows\system32 folder.
2.  Under C:\windows\system32\ blat - install MY_SMTP_SERVER my_email_address
     created a test.txt under C:\ and tested the out going mail by using this command:
     C:\windows\system32\blat C:\test.txt -s Subject_Test -to my_email_address and i received the mail.
3. Opened the nbmail.cmd and did the following changes:

@IF "%~4"=="" (
C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i admin@your_domain.com -server MY_SMTP_SERVER -q
) ELSE (
C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i admin@your_domain.com -server MY_SMTP_SERVER -q -attach %4
)

Add the full path of the blat file (C:\Windows\system32) and gave the SMTP SERVER NAME ( also changed the sender email ID to admin@your_domain.com or it can be any email address you would want).

4. Go to Netbackup Administrator Console-->Host Properties for Master Server-->Global Attributes tab--->at the bottom page enter your email address where you want to receive the failure mail. Restart the services and run a job.

NOTE: i also tired the above solution given by QUEBEK, please refer to that test command using NBMAIL.CMDbefore you start with the actual testing with the Netbackup path_to_nabmail.cmd\nbmail.cmd your_email_address@your_company Test_email_as_subject testing c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

It worked for me.

Thank You all for the HELP!!!!!

Abby

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mathew_Burke
Level 4

Mathew_Burke
Level 4

Mathew_Burke
Level 4
Is it a hot catalog backup? This is an option in the policy to send an e-mail uder "Disaster Recovery"

MOIMOI
Level 4

Is it a hot catalog backup? This is an option in the policy to send an e-mail uder "Disaster Recovery"

the catalog runs only when the schedule job runs, if i do any job manually the catalog backup doesnt happen.

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Do You have in the %PATH% a path to blat binaries? if not try to add or explicit point out the blat locations in nbmail.cmd script

MOIMOI
Level 4

Do You have in the %PATH% a path to blat binaries? if not try to add or explicit point out the blat locations in nbmail.cmd script

Hi,

i did try to give the path of blat file eg is below:

@IF "%~4"=="" (C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i -server my smtp server name -q)
ELSE (C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i -server my smtp server name -q -attach %4)

But still it doesnt work, is the code correct?or do i hv to write blat.exe with the path? If the code is not correct can you tell me where in nbmail.cmd i can add the code + the code?

Abby

quebek
   VIP    Certified
In the first post You submitted You mentioned that:
"1. downloaded blat version 262 and kept it on C:\bla\blat262\full"
I am just hoping that before putting C:\windows\system32\blat You have copied the binary to that directory, is it right?
If so, please run on the command line this
path_to_nabmail.cmd\nbmail.cmd your_email_address@your_company Test_email_as_subject testing c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

and check out the output !! maybe email will come with attachement of hosts file

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

These are the changes i did on my test server with Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with Netbackup 6.5.3:

1.  Unzipped BLAT and copied the blat.exe on C:\windows\system32 folder.
2.  Under C:\windows\system32\ blat - install MY_SMTP_SERVER my_email_address
     created a test.txt under C:\ and tested the out going mail by using this command:
     C:\windows\system32\blat C:\test.txt -s Subject_Test -to my_email_address and i received the mail.
3. Opened the nbmail.cmd and did the following changes:

@IF "%~4"=="" (
C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i admin@your_domain.com -server MY_SMTP_SERVER -q
) ELSE (
C:\windows\system32\blat %3 -s %2 -t %1 -i admin@your_domain.com -server MY_SMTP_SERVER -q -attach %4
)

Add the full path of the blat file (C:\Windows\system32) and gave the SMTP SERVER NAME ( also changed the sender email ID to admin@your_domain.com or it can be any email address you would want).

4. Go to Netbackup Administrator Console-->Host Properties for Master Server-->Global Attributes tab--->at the bottom page enter your email address where you want to receive the failure mail. Restart the services and run a job.

NOTE: i also tired the above solution given by QUEBEK, please refer to that test command using NBMAIL.CMDbefore you start with the actual testing with the Netbackup path_to_nabmail.cmd\nbmail.cmd your_email_address@your_company Test_email_as_subject testing c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

It worked for me.

Thank You all for the HELP!!!!!

Abby