cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR - Backup Selection for only OS and Apps - using netbackup 7.0.1

curcloin
Level 4

I was wondering what needs to be selected in the backup Selection of a policy to only get the Operating system and Installed Apps in the event that we have to do a BMR.  Simply, what is the bare minimum setting to complete a BMR of a system ( windows client).  We are using netbackup 7.0.1.

What I have selected now:

Shadow Copy Components:\

System State:\

C:\

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends on the configuration and use of each host. Mostly system files and service programs are installed on C drive, but on some system administratore may have installed programs on other than C.

Using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and excluding data drives is conservative method for avoiding loss of system files.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends on the configuration and use of each host. Mostly system files and service programs are installed on C drive, but on some system administratore may have installed programs on other than C.

Using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and excluding data drives is conservative method for avoiding loss of system files.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Shadow_Copy_Components: and C: should be enough. I believe that System_State: is already included in SCC:, so you don't need to specify it again. 1) Exact OS version of client? 2) 32-bit or 64-bit OS of client? 3) Are you using NetBackup BMR? (i.e. with BMR Boot Server, to provide PXE boot?) 4) Or are you thinking of restoring over the top of a fresh OS? (i.e. the "overlay method") 5) Will the recocery take place to exactly the same hardware in exactly the same configuration? (i.e. same make and model of server, same BIOS, same make model and firmware of NIC in the same PCI slots, same HBA (be it/they SCSI, SAS, FC) make and model and in the same PCI slots - i.e. all exactly the same as the original server? 6) Have you read the NetBackup BMR manual? 7) Can you describe OS versions and NetBackup versions of your NetBackup master and media servers?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

FYI 

The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVE backup is missing the Shadow Copy Components in restore selections.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227824

curcloin
Level 4

I have added:

Shadow Copy Components:\

System State:\

C:\

, its finishing partially with code (1).

2/24/2015 5:01:20 PM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
2/24/2015 5:01:20 PM - started
2/24/2015 5:01:21 PM - started process bpbrm (5272)
2/24/2015 5:01:38 PM - connecting
2/24/2015 5:01:55 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:17
2/24/2015 5:01:57 PM - begin writing
2/24/2015 5:02:38 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=5272) from client misosync2: WRN - can't open file: System State:\Automated System Recovery\BCD\BCD (WIN32 -536832991: Unknown error)
2/24/2015 5:02:38 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=5272) from client misosync2: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\
2/24/2015 6:05:40 PM - end writing; write time: 01:03:43
the requested operation was partially successful(1)

The job was successfully completed, but some files may have been
busy or unaccessible. See the problems report or the client's logs for more details.

Client:

Win 2008 r2 x64

NetBackup Server:

7.0.1 server 2008 r2 standard x64

Media Server:

7.0.1 server 2008 r2 (same as netbackup server)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As stated previously - backup selection should not include both Shadow Copy Components:\ and System State:\ . Backup of Shadow Copy Components:\ includes System State:\.

curcloin
Level 4

I think I might have found why, I had this issue before something to do with EFI partitions for BMR.

TECH143840

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You really need to upgrade your NBU version. There were multiple fixes for SCC and BMR in 7.1.0.x patches that are also included in subsequent 7.5 and 7.6 versions. The URL in your post is not working. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168824 describes a solution for NBU 7.1.0.1.