Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Restore VM-VM

marknolan66
Level 3

Hi,

NBU 7.7.3 / Windows 2008R2 VMs

I'm trying to restore a Windows VM to a new Windows VM which has the same configuration, i.e. disks, sizes, memory etc.

I created a new client and edited the routes and interfaces adding the new IP address into the config. The Master and Media servers are in the Hosts config and I think that the Routes are ok. When I start the PTR and the new restore client boots I first get the message "Failed to retrieve any configurations from the server"

I "OK" the message and at the menu, if I look in the "Network" menu and check in the "Configure Network Connection Settings", sometimes the Networking services are started, sometimes they are not. However, the default gateway always shows as 0.0.0.0, but the new IP and subnet are ok.

So I set it to the correct gateway address and click ok, then go back to "Restore".

If I click on "Automated BMR Restore" I get the same "Failed to retrieve..." message, so I try "Generic BMR Restore" and again, the gateway is 0.0.0.0.

Also, sometimes the NBU Master Server IP is 0.0.0.0. So I add the gateway address in again (and NBU IP if needed) and click "Contact Master Server".

The new config is retrieved and I click on "Restore Client". The restore starts and after a short while the disk mapping menu is displayed, so I add the disks. After clicking ok to continue I get the message; "The restore has stopped due to the following error: Failed to verify the backup --rc(25)

Should I be using the "Backup VLAN" to do this restore? I have tried with both service and backup LANs configured, but nothing seems to make much difference. I also have the new host in the "hosts" file on the Master server.

I am getting really frustrated as I can't seem to fix this and I've been at this for 2 weeks now...

Please can anyone advise me or give me something to check?

Thanks - Mark

18 REPLIES 18

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Please map the original client name with target server ip address in Master/media server host file.

Clear the host cache on Master and Media

#bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Restart the restore.

Regards,

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. I deleted and re-created the restore configuration and so far it seems to be working ... I'll update again when I have further news.

It does seem to be taking ages though ...

thanks,

Mark

...It's been "stuck" at this stage for well over an hour now. I'm assuming that it's not doing anything.

Snap 2017-05-09 at 13.35.03.png

Hello,

Have you performed discovery from client site?

Regards,

Hi, thanks again for the reply. It's a great help!

I did a discovery and it appears in the "Discovered Configurations" section. I dont know what to do with it or how I am supposed to use it though.

I've also started to get the error message "Failed to retrieve any configurations from the server" again.

I have flushed the cache again, and the original hostname is still pointing to the new hostname IP address, so I am not sure whats going on! It's starting to beat me this is!

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi,

I had a typo in my "Host Routes" section, so the BMR is underway again.

However, I now get the error "The restore has stopped due to the following error:<?>"

I fixed the restore error by running DISKPART and creating partitions;

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/7-6-BMR-Windows-restore/td-p/597165

The files are currently restoring and things look ok so far....

Hello,

Normally, it not required to formatt the disk manually.  But in some cases we do that to format the raw disk.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Please do not forcefully shutdown the target client. Once restore get complete it reboot the system automatic.

After that login as admin on client. BMR will run the cleanup job in background.

Kindly do not shutdown till the BMR task get done state in NBU console.

Regards,

Hi, the restore was nearly finished, then I received the attached error;

Failed to restore system files, rc=5, could not restore system state

the BMR log shows;

Restoration log termination time: 2017/05/11 09:11:05
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : System Volume Id=19282
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : Mountpoint for System Volume=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : mountPoint=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:MountShadowCopyComponents() sysVolMountPoint=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() , bplist exitCode=0.
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() Restore command failed! Tried (bprestore -w   -L C:\BMR\nbulog.txt  -T  -R "X:\rename.txt"  -f "X:\listfile.txt" )--rc(5).
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of listFile ( 14 System State:\ 1494339595 1494352882 )
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of renameFile ( BMR BOOTDRIVELETTER C
BMR IDRRESTORE
rename 14 /System State/ 11 /C/BMR/SCC/ )
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:RestoreSystemState() System State fails to restore, rc=5
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Unmounting sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountVolume() Could not unmount C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U\, gle=2
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Could not unmount C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U, gle=122

Hello,

It seems to be issue with system state backup. Please share your backup selection in policy.

Go to master server run the below command and share the output.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -E -C <Source_Client_Name> -k bmr -t 13 -X -s 0 <ctime from backup id> -I /System State/System Files/"

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -E -C <Source_Client_Name> -k bmr -t 13 -X -s 0 <ctime from backup id> -I "/System State/_SharedHardlinkData_/"

Example:

The backup id of image you want to restore on target. BMR take default latest one.

Backup ID: xyz_1417489796

ctime: 1417489796

Hello,

thanks once more for the help and advice. Here are the outputs;

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C a11w91 -k bmr -t 13 -X -s 0 -e 1494584516 -I "/System State/System Files/"
EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C a11w91 -k bmr -t 13 -X -s 0 -e 1494584516 -I "/System State/_SharedHardlinkData_/"
EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

I couldnt get the <ctime from backup_id> to work, and I found this article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024329   so I just used the <ctime> attribute.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello,

It seems, there is issue with system state backup.

Kindly confirm and configure the backup selection mentioned below.

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
shadow copy components

Check the VSS writers are stable on client.

Run fresh full backup 

Make sure all parent and child jobs should exit with status 0.

Enable the bmrrst log on Master server.

Create new client configuration and map the same discovery and perform restore.

Regards,

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been trying several times to get this working, but still no luck. I edited the policy and also added "System State" as a backup selection. I performed another full backup which completed successfully and I've re-ran this countless times but it still fails. Here is a snip from the logfile;

2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1487703866 for D:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1487617511 for D:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1487444684 for D:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1487358270 for D:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1495134051 for P:\<?>
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : System Volume Id=1
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : Mountpoint for System Volume=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:FindMountPointToSystemPartition() @temp : mountPoint=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:MountShadowCopyComponents() sysVolMountPoint=U:
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:MountShadowCopyComponents() mounting volumeGuid:\\?\Volume{fe3b83e2-3c21-19e7-abef-000c2943400c}\ sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\D
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:MountShadowCopyComponents() mounting volumeGuid:\\?\Volume{fe3b83e5-3c21-19e7-abef-000c2943400c}\ sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\P
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1495130492 for System State:\<?>
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() Restore command failed! Tried (bprestore -w -L C:\BMR\nbulog.txt -T -R "X:\rename.txt" -f "X:\listfile.txt" )--rc(24).
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of listFile ( 14 System State:\ 1495365989 1495365989
)
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of renameFile ( BMR BOOTDRIVELETTER C
BMR IDRRESTORE
rename 14 /System State/ 11 /C/BMR/SCC/
)
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:RestoreSystemState() System State fails to restore, rc=24
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Unmounting sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\D
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Unmounting sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\P
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Unmounting sccMountPoint:C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountVolume() Could not unmount C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U\, gle=2
3 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:UnmountShadowCopyComponents() Could not unmount C:\BMR\SCC\System Files\U, gle=122
2 DEBUG CWindowsRestoreStrategy.cpp:restoreFiles() Could not restore system state, rc=24

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks, Mark

Hello,

Thanks for the update. I think you selected the All_Local_Dirves and System state both in backup selection.

If you selected the All_local_Drives then it will include the system state. You do not need to select system state again.

If you select C:\ then you have to specify the System state in backup selection.

This issue is no more related to BMR. After disk format BMR done the work and normal restoration get started.

So we are failing to restore the system state here.

Kindly try one more time with backup selection all_local_drives and create new SRT after successful backup & use that SRT to restore.

Regards,

Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm just recreating the SRT and performing another backup. I am using a policy that has the "Bare metal Restore" box ticked in the attributes section. I assume that this is correct.

Also, when I choose "Prepare to Restore" I am also selecting the same policy, i.e. the BMR policy I used for the backup.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello,

Thats correct. Take freesh backup and copy the current client configuration to new.

Best Luck!  :)

Regards,

Hello again,

I have had a few days off work so I was unable to get back to you. Still no luck here.

The backup was taking a while so I created a "test policy" and just backed up the Windows directory.

The policy file selection has:

c:\windows\

system_state

Shadow Copy Components

The policy also has the BMR attribute ticked.

The backup completed,with this detail;

05/30/2017 14:40:11 - begin writing
05/30/2017 14:39:27 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT.LOG1 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:27 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT.LOG2 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:27 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\QQH9YPN1 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\QQPHXPN1.LOG1 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\QQPHXPN1.LOG2 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastalive0.dat (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\lastalive1.dat (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT.LOG1 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT.LOG2 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Warning bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: WRN - can't open file: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\QQ1TZPN1.LOG1 (WIN32 32: Unknown error)
05/30/2017 14:39:28 - Info bpbrm (pid=14334) from client *****: TRV - last message being suppressed after 10 occurrences
05/30/2017 14:46:31 - Info bptm (pid=14335) waited for full buffer 13402 times, delayed 33057 times
05/30/2017 14:46:34 - Info bptm (pid=14335) EXITING with status 0 <----------
05/30/2017 14:46:34 - Info ***** (pid=14335) StorageServer=PureDisk:*****; Report=PDDO Stats for (*****): scanned: 6652246 KB, CR sent: 6451624 KB, CR sent over FC: 0 KB, dedup: 3.0%, cache hits: 0 (0.0%)
05/30/2017 14:46:34 - Info bpbrm (pid=14334) validating image for client *****
05/30/2017 14:46:35 - Info bpbkar (pid=9520) done. status: 1: the requested operation was partially successful
05/30/2017 14:49:49 - end writing; write time: 0:09:38
The requested operation was partially successful (1)

The BMR fails with a system state error as before so I'm not sure what else to do now. It's like the backup isn't backing up the host system state, but the original host has all the system writers running. 

I'm at the point of giving up!

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, 

Was this issue sorted out ?

Only include ALL LOCAL DRIVES in the backup selection.

As per the error i assume some system state components failed to backup so you are getting this issue.

next steps:

delete the client from the BMR clients tab from the GUI

Enable Allow multiple data streams & collect BMR and include all local drives.

Run the FULL BMR backup again with the above attributes enabled. Make sure the parent & all the child jobs are successful.

Enable bmrprep log on master : vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 126 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

After this go to BMR clients tab and check if the deleted client came back? If yes then create a copy of it and then run prepare to restore on it. This is just to confirm that the backup is good.

If no error then you can cancel the prepare to restore task from the BMR task and then map the NIC and volumes from the copied config with discovered config. After this on the copied config please run a fresh prepare to restore and once it is successful you may boot the client with CD based SRT ISO and start the BMR DSR. 

Make sure you use the different statis IP in case if its DSR and make sure you add hosts file entries on the master and media server for the new IP with the BMR client name. Your master server & media server  should resolve the new IP to the BMR client and vice versa, After adding the hosts file entries on the master and media server you need to run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache to clear the NBU cache.

In case of any issues please send me bmrprep log and bmrrst log for the client in question for review.

--Santosh