Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Restores Failing

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi all!

Asking for your help. I am facing this issue when I'm trying to do a BMR.

"The restore has stopped due to the following error: Unable to make Registry modification required to boot the system."

Kindly see the BMR Logs to further check the issue.

Hoping for your feedback.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please share all the steps that you have followed before starting BMR restore.

I see this in the log:

DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUVerifyBackup() Failed to get backup list
3 DEBUG CWinPeRestoreStrategy.cpp:verifyBackup() Failed to verify backup, rc=25

Plus all sorts of errors with network config...

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

@J_Huggins,

Did you already check this TN?...In this TN there is an issue where during the backup the parent job will report a Status Code 1, would be it your case?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000111381

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro,

Will get back to you once I've gathered some other information to my colleague with regards on this matter.

Thank you and Best Regards!

Jonas

Hi @Marianne,

Will send to the steps that we followed before starting BMR, I'm just waiting for my colleague.

May I know what do you mean with this "Plus all sorts of errors with network config"?

Thank you and Best Regards!

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6
If I may ask - have you had a look at the log?
I will copy&paste from the log when I am online on my laptop.
I cannot open .log files on my phone (only .txt files).

Hi  @Marianne

Sorry to tell I don't know how to read those logs. As per your reply I saw this "3 DEBUG CWinPeRestoreStrategy.cpp:verifyBackup() Failed to verify backup, rc=25" is this the main reason why I am failing BMR Restore? What is the meaning of that?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro

Good Day!

Where part of the logs did you find that "Status Code 1"  so I can anaylze it further.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Marianne
Level 6

This error means that BMR process is unable to verify that the master server contains a valid BMR backup for this client. 
Status 25 is a socket connect error.

Please see this TN : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041765

You will see a list of possible reasons.
You need to work on this list to find the reason in this instance.

The reason why I asked for the steps that were followed, is that there are documented steps in the BMR manual on how to check for the most recent BMR backup, how to modify the client's BMR config if anything is different, how to 'Prepare Tor Restore', etc, etc.

To read the logs, you simply open them with a text editor.

I see errors such as:

1 DIAG CNetworkAgentPlat.cpp:setRoutes() Unable to set route for host 192.168.70.5 - gateway 192.168.70.5, return code = 160
1 DIAG CNetworkAgentPlat.cpp:setRoutes() Unable to set route for host 172.168.70.1 - gateway 255.255.255.0, return code = 1231
1 DIAG CNetworkAgentPlat.cpp:setRoutes() Unable to set route for host 172.168.70.2 - gateway 255.255.255.0, return code = 123

So, you need to find out why there are 3 IP addresses. 
The above TN contains troubleshooting tips as far as multiple NICs and MAC addresses are concerned.

To know if the BMR backup completed with status 0 or 1, look at the Job status in Activity Monitor.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @J_Huggins,

It is not a log but from this TN  - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000111381

Take a look

During the backup the parent job will report a Status Code 1 (where the BMR save configuration is generated and imported into the BMR database on the master), and during a restore/recovery of a client, during the Finalizing step the BMR task will not complete successfully due to an inability to modify the registry.

One of the symptoms for this error is the backup job to end with status code 1, would this be your case?

Regards,

Thiago Ribeiro

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro and @Marianne,

Pardon for the late replies.

As per my colleague they'd just a little bit confusing because last year they already do this BMR from Physical to Virtual both 64bit and 32bit and its successful. Now they tried again the BMR but 64bit are the one who successed and the 32bit are the one who fails.

Note: Same Source, same target, same configuration and same procedure.

Kindly see attached file for the screenshots.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @J_Huggins,

I was looking on the error logs and I found the sama erros messages on this technote below.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Dissimilar-hardware-BMR-restore-error/td-p/718904

Can you check?

Log

4 DEBUG bmrSystem.cpp:BmrRunCommand with Callbackfunction Failed, creating process. gle=2

1 DIAG CNetworkAgentPlat.cpp:setRoutes() Unable to set route for host 192.168.70.5 - gateway 192.168.70.5, return code = 160

4 DEBUG CDiskFacadeBuilder.cpp:isLdmActive() Could not determine state of Windows Logical Disk Manager--rc(2).

4 DEBUG CDiskFacadeBuilder.cpp:isSfwActive() Could not determine state of Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows, assuming NOT active, rc=2

Regards,

Thiago

Hi @Thiago_Ribeiro

For additional information from my end. Kindly see attached photo.

Those 4 logs you've listed below are the possible causes on my issue?

I still reviewing the TN you've given to me, thank you for that.

Thanks and Best Regards!

Jonas