cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR SRT Creation

belse
Level 5

Hi All,

Need to create SRT for BMR. However i got stuck in creating the same. Did the following

1:BMR Master server setup wizard or command is bmrsetupmaster same way in command prompt

2:- Create a policy and select ALl Local Drives and need to enable bare metal restore(It will collect the information
like how many volumes, Harddrives are there) in policy selection.
3:-Once policy gets completed, We could see BMR clients pane in netbackup with client configuration.
4:- Need to setup boot server(It provides environment to boot the system). If client is 32 bit boot server
should be 32 bit.
5:- Need to register BMR boot server in command prompt inside Bin command is bmrsetupboot -register
6:- Need to Create SRT Shared Resource tree

After 6th step and after image attached  (SRT1.jpg) its not extracting any files to the given location and it asks for wim image. Attached Screenshot (SRT2.JPG) comes up. Doing the same according to Mander uploaded video.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-bmr-701-release-windows-2008-client-physical-machine-virtual-machine-restore

Pls help me.

My setup is as below.

Master:- Netbackup 7.0 

Os- Server 2003

Client:- Netbackup 7.0

Os- Server 2003

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Probably because of the previosu attempts - try starting again using a different diretcory - see this:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125809

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Just select .wim placed under Addons\x64\BMRBS in install DVD or downloadable at SRT2.JPG.

belse
Level 5

No such file in my setup..

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
>> 4:- Need to setup boot server(It provides environment to boot the system). If client is 32 bit boot server
should be 32 bit.
This rule is not mandatory. You can have any windows 2003/2008/R2 32/64 bit system to setup bmr boot server. Only requirement is SRT that you will be creating to restore client onto this boot server needs to be of same architecture (32/64 bit) as per your client being restored.

As Yasuhisa mentioned you should get there 32 and 64 bit WIMs. Select appropriate one as per above rule.

Thanks.
Mandar

belse
Level 5

Dear Mandar,

As per your amazing video some files were getting copied to the the destination folder in my case its c:/srt x64bit location but its not happening and its asking me for .wim image directly  if i click next to srt1.jpg and c:/srt x64bit folder remains empty.

Thanks,

Belse

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Forget the video. Now you need to specify the place of .wim file, and this .wim gile is included in DVD media or downloadable file of NetBackup for Windows. Look into Addons\x64\BMRBS folder in DVD or where you have extracted instaaltiln binaries to.

belse
Level 5

Thats what I was saying no installation binaries was extracted after uploded srt1.jpg. extraction didnot happen

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Hi Belse,

The version my video is using contains the requried base WIM files deployed by default during NB client installation.

Later NB version release changed packaging where these base WIM files are not auto deployed during NB client installation. Hence BMR SRT creation wizard is asking you base WIM path. You need to provide appropriate one (32/64) as I stated above. Also note that this WIM provision is one time activity (once for 32 bit and once for 64 bit type SRT). Later we do save this locally.

So please select 32/64 wim from the Addons path.

Thanks.

Mandar

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I think below SRT creation Wizard steps will help you understanding this well.

1] Intended SRT architecture (32/64) and destination dir where to create SRT and SRT name

2] To create above SRT, BMR needs base MS-WinPE based WIM which today NB-BMR ships along with package and available in addons/.. dir

3] User needs to select this 32/64 WIM in order to create SRT. As stated above this is only one time activity.

4] BMR copies this WIM locally and starts SRT creation process.

5] Prompts user for NB client installation. User to provide NB client installble path to this wizard page. BMR will install NB client within SRT.

6] Done. User can now do PTR (or PTD for DSR) process as I have described in the video.

Thanks.

mandar

belse
Level 5

As it is not showing in my software dumps and dvd is missing. any other way????????????

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

No other way. This is pre-requisite. Check if you can download it from Symantec site. Though I am not sure about exact URL. Each WIM (32 and 64) will be ~160 MB.

Thanks.

Mandar

belse
Level 5

Dear Mandar,

I was trying to download 7.5 trail version i can see the .wim files inside the archive i also downloaded it but it seems the setup files are corrupted.

Thanks,

Belse

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Which setup files you are talking about? WIMs? Or NB installation?

Please confirm.

thanks.

Mandar

belse
Level 5

I downloaded 7.5 trail version from symantech site it was about 1.7 gb. But it did not work it was in zip format and i can see .wim files under this 7.5 zip file.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

But it did not work

Please tell us more detail. How did you do after extracting zip file? Post steps and screenshots here.

belse
Level 5

Downloaded link.........https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/vrtcontroller. I chose to download part one and part two.

Files got downloded in two parts.

One inside compressed folder named as "NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.zip" havind 1.7 GB size and other outside compressed folder named as "NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.2of2" around 300 MB size.

After that some files got downloaded. Getting an error message while extracting the files. Downloaded the same 2 files (Part one and Part two) many times but same is happening.

Pls suggest.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You should have 2 files downloaded that should be 1of2 and 2of 2

You need to join these first before you can open them

Put them both into a directory, open an administrative command prompt and use the following command to join them (using their correct full names):

copy /b "file1of2"+"file2of2" "file.zip"

This will join them and create a proper zip file for you

But as the others have said, where ever you installed NetBackup from in the first place you should have the .wim files already - and you are using V7.0 so it would be under \Addons\x64\BMRBS\ or \Addons\x86\BMRBS\ where you will find srd.wim and srd_x64.wim

belse
Level 5

Tried the same thing. No Success. Why can not Symantech make it one zip file?

CMD Prompt reply.

F:\Backup>copy /b NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.zip+NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.2of2 final.zip

NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.zip
NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.2of2
        1 file(s) copied.

Error message is also attached.......

Pls suggest.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You have missed out the speech marks aroung the file names:

F:\Backup>copy /b "NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.zip"+"NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.2of2" "final.zip"

But i also feel that the names you are using are not right - the first file should be NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.1of2  not zip - check it and also check that you are not hiding know file extenstions when looking at the files.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

One other thing .. where are you? which country and language is being used by NetBackup?

If you use Chines, Japanese or French then you cannot browse to the wim files - see this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156158

But if you have a language pack installed they will have been installed to:

<Install Path>Veritas\NetBackup\BareMetal\server\data

Have you actually used Windows exploer to look under \Addons\x64\BMRBS\ because if the files are actually there then you can just type in the path even though you cannot see them using the browse feature of the wizard