cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR Setup driving me nuts

LeeClayton
Level 5
using netbackup 6.5.3.1 - have BMR licenses and installed on my windows master server. I want to also use the master server as the boot server, shared resource server, etc. How do I do this???? Can't find anything that allows me to set this up.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolV
Level 5
Hi,
Very briefly, step are as follows:
1. Setup the BMR Master Server. On Unix, this happens automatically once you have installed teh BMR Master Server, but on Windows, you need to run bmrmss.exe (start->programs->veritas netbackup->bare metal restore master server setup) this will setup your BMR database.
2. Turn on BMR in the backup policy. The BMR Backup policy's backup selection needs to be "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES". Take a backup. You should then be able to see the client and its configuration in the BMR node in your NBU Admin console.
3. The Boot Server. This is needed only when you want to restore a client. You can install it on the Master Server. For Windows as well as Unix, the base package is different. For windows, you will find the Boot Server base (6.5) package in the "additional products" part of the install launch screen on the left side. So if you didnt install the boot server when you were at 6.5, you first need to do that and then upgrade to 6.5.3.1
4. Then use the boot server assistant (or bmrsrtadm on unix) to create SRTs.
I hope this helps you to get started.
~Amol.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LeeClayton
Level 5
think i might have found it? do I install the bare metal boot server from the 6.5 install files (been trying to do it from the 6.5.3 files), I guess from here I get the change to set up BMR?

AmolV
Level 5
Hi,
Very briefly, step are as follows:
1. Setup the BMR Master Server. On Unix, this happens automatically once you have installed teh BMR Master Server, but on Windows, you need to run bmrmss.exe (start->programs->veritas netbackup->bare metal restore master server setup) this will setup your BMR database.
2. Turn on BMR in the backup policy. The BMR Backup policy's backup selection needs to be "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES". Take a backup. You should then be able to see the client and its configuration in the BMR node in your NBU Admin console.
3. The Boot Server. This is needed only when you want to restore a client. You can install it on the Master Server. For Windows as well as Unix, the base package is different. For windows, you will find the Boot Server base (6.5) package in the "additional products" part of the install launch screen on the left side. So if you didnt install the boot server when you were at 6.5, you first need to do that and then upgrade to 6.5.3.1
4. Then use the boot server assistant (or bmrsrtadm on unix) to create SRTs.
I hope this helps you to get started.
~Amol.

LeeClayton
Level 5
Cheers, that gets me moving.