Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR To be configured

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

I have a HPUX box running on IA64 machine with V3 OS. I have to configure it to perform BMR for the clients being connected to it.

Kindly send me any document which would be handy in doing so.

Tried searching for BMR guide 7.5.0.4 but couldn't my hands on any.

Thanx in advance!

Regards,

Harmanpreet Singh

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5163 (document is in the attachment block right side of web page).

Look in chapter 2 - Install BMR

While configuring NBU to collect BMR info is a walk in the park - doing BMR restore is the tricky part until you have understood the concepts. Please familiar yourself with the restore flow, before is for "real". Do a couple of BMR restore test to see how it works.

Espacially the "BMR boot server" name can be misleading when doing BMR restore via iso/cd images. 

View solution in original post

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The noted article is your best source of information for this.

My version of steps to take for initial setup:

1. Initialize BMR Master Server and databases on the NBU Master Server.  BMR Master only can live on the NBU Master. All BMR commands reside in the path /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. The BMRDB files will reside in the same location as the NBDB database files.

bmrsetupmaster

2. When done, the 'bmrd' daemon should be running. 
You can verify that the BMRDB database and service is operational by running:

bmrs -o query -res database -table CurrentVersion

The output will display the running SCHEMA of the database, which should exactly match the NBU version of the Master.

3.Clients that will be recovered using BMR will register to the BMRDB for any policy where the BMR option is enabled. On NBU 7.5, this option is not set by default. Enabling this option will automatically enable TIR with Move detection settings. BMR only supports use of two policy types - Unix Standard (type 0) and Windows NT (type 13). The BMR option is not available for any other policy types.

4. All supported clients will automatically register with the BMR Master when any backup of that client (FULL or INCR) is performed. The BMR registration action will always occur ahead of any NBU backup stream activity. Assuming the BMR client registration goes without error, the client will be visible to the BMR portion of the Admin Console regardless of the result of the NBU backup, even if it fails. It is mandatory that you have a valid FULL backup of any BMR registered client ahead of any BMR recovery attempts.  The use of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is the safest setting for file list selection in the  policy. For individual file list selection all of the OS specific system drives/partitions/file systems MUST be selected and backed up. Data drives that reside on the client do not need to be backed up to perform a BMR DR recovery. However, if they are present in the backup image and it is so desired, BMR will recover any and all of them as part of the recovery process. BMR functionality allows for user defined data recovery beyond the OS portion.

5. List of registered clients can be seen by use of Admin Console or from CLI.
Admin Console:  BMR Administration Node -> Hosts -> BMR Clients
CLI:  bmrs -o list -res [ Config | Client ]

6. Before a BMR recovery can occur, you MUST define the Boot Server environment. Use this article for assistance:
Requirements for Bare Metal Restore (BMR) Boot Servers
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87607

BMR Boot Servers are OS specific.  A BMR Boot Server must exist for every OS type of protected/registered clients. For Windows clients, a single Windows based Boot Server can be used to recover any supported Windows OS version, to include 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Any NBU server or client can be designated as a Boot Server. BMR Boot Server software is part of any client software install. The command to run is:

bmrsetupboot -register

Once done, they will be visible on the Master:

Admin Console:  BMR Administration Node -> Hosts -> BMR Boot Servers
CLI:  bmrs -o list -res BootServer

All Boot Servers will register to their designated Master Server.  Multiple Boot Servers are allowed within any NBU domain. They cannot be shared by multiple Master Servers.

7. See the OSCL for NBU clients that are supported by BMR:
NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Under the section for NBU Clients, look under the column for BMR Boot/Client Support.

8. BMR client recoveries require the use of BMR specific boot images. The boot image is known as a Shared Resource tree (SRT). Each Boot Server will create an SRT specific to its OS type. On all Boot Servers, the command is "bmrsrtadm". For Windows you can use the GUI version "Boot Server Assistant".

9.  BMR recoveries can start from either a network boot, or a media (CD/DVD/ISO) boot. Initial SRT creation will always be the file system based network boot SRT.  Media boot images are created based on them.

10. The boot method used will always be based on the native boot method of the given OS. For example, network based boot of Windows and Linux clients will make use of PXE boot protocols.  A Solaris environment will use JumpStart. However, Solaris Sparc servers cannot boot Solaris x86 clients and vice versa.

For all that I have written above, you basically need to do three things:

1. Initialize the BMR Master (bmrd) and BMRDB: bmrsetupmaster
2. Create/Initialize BMR Boot servers (bmrbd):  bmrsetupboot -register
3. Create required SRT boot images:  bmrsrtadm

And, as noted above, your best means of getting used to the BMR recovery environment is to do some test restores ahead of any real need to do a DR recovery.  For that I recommend

1. Get a test server and install an OS and NBU client software. The amount of data on the server is of no consequence.

2. Do  FULL backup of the test client.

3. Do a Prepare To Restore operation on the Master Server. See the BMR Admin Guide for assistance.

4. Boot the test client by the designated boot method and recover the client.

Once you feel comfortable of recovering back to the exact same server that created the backup image, you can expand out to some of the more complex extensions to the product, such as doing a restore to different hardware, known as a Dissimilar System Restore (DSR).

From experience working with previous customers, I have found that the learning curve can be seen as steep but after a few test recoveries the process makes sense and is much easier for future recoveries, i.e. practice makes better.

And, in looking at all that I have written, I think I need to publish an article for all of this to assist any future customers.

:

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup 7.5 Bare Metal Restore Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5163  

(Links to all NBU docs in Handy NBU Links in my signature and NBU landing page: http://go.symantec.com/nb/

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5163 (document is in the attachment block right side of web page).

Look in chapter 2 - Install BMR

While configuring NBU to collect BMR info is a walk in the park - doing BMR restore is the tricky part until you have understood the concepts. Please familiar yourself with the restore flow, before is for "real". Do a couple of BMR restore test to see how it works.

Espacially the "BMR boot server" name can be misleading when doing BMR restore via iso/cd images. 

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The noted article is your best source of information for this.

My version of steps to take for initial setup:

1. Initialize BMR Master Server and databases on the NBU Master Server.  BMR Master only can live on the NBU Master. All BMR commands reside in the path /usr/openv/netbackup/bin. The BMRDB files will reside in the same location as the NBDB database files.

bmrsetupmaster

2. When done, the 'bmrd' daemon should be running. 
You can verify that the BMRDB database and service is operational by running:

The output will display the running SCHEMA of the database, which should exactly match the NBU version of the Master.

3.Clients that will be recovered using BMR will register to the BMRDB for any policy where the BMR option is enabled. On NBU 7.5, this option is not set by default. Enabling this option will automatically enable TIR with Move detection settings. BMR only supports use of two policy types - Unix Standard (type 0) and Windows NT (type 13). The BMR option is not available for any other policy types.

4. All supported clients will automatically register with the BMR Master when any backup of that client (FULL or INCR) is performed. The BMR registration action will always occur ahead of any NBU backup stream activity. Assuming the BMR client registration goes without error, the client will be visible to the BMR portion of the Admin Console regardless of the result of the NBU backup, even if it fails. It is mandatory that you have a valid FULL backup of any BMR registered client ahead of any BMR recovery attempts.  The use of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is the safest setting for file list selection in the  policy. For individual file list selection all of the OS specific system drives/partitions/file systems MUST be selected and backed up. Data drives that reside on the client do not need to be backed up to perform a BMR DR recovery. However, if they are present in the backup image and it is so desired, BMR will recover any and all of them as part of the recovery process. BMR functionality allows for user defined data recovery beyond the OS portion.

5. List of registered clients can be seen by use of Admin Console or from CLI.
Admin Console:  BMR Administration Node -> Hosts -> BMR Clients
CLI:  bmrs -o list -res [ Config | Client ]

6. Before a BMR recovery can occur, you MUST define the Boot Server environment. Use this article for assistance:
Requirements for Bare Metal Restore (BMR) Boot Servers
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87607

BMR Boot Servers are OS specific.  A BMR Boot Server must exist for every OS type of protected/registered clients. For Windows clients, a single Windows based Boot Server can be used to recover any supported Windows OS version, to include 32 bit or 64 bit versions. Any NBU server or client can be designated as a Boot Server. BMR Boot Server software is part of any client software install. The command to run is:

bmrsetupboot -register

Once done, they will be visible on the Master:

Admin Console:  BMR Administration Node -> Hosts -> BMR Boot Servers
CLI:  bmrs -o list -res BootServer

All Boot Servers will register to their designated Master Server.  Multiple Boot Servers are allowed within any NBU domain. They cannot be shared by multiple Master Servers.

7. See the OSCL for NBU clients that are supported by BMR:
NetBackup (tm) 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Under the section for NBU Clients, look under the column for BMR Boot/Client Support.

8. BMR client recoveries require the use of BMR specific boot images. The boot image is known as a Shared Resource tree (SRT). Each Boot Server will create an SRT specific to its OS type. On all Boot Servers, the command is "bmrsrtadm". For Windows you can use the GUI version "Boot Server Assistant".

9.  BMR recoveries can start from either a network boot, or a media (CD/DVD/ISO) boot. Initial SRT creation will always be the file system based network boot SRT.  Media boot images are created based on them.

10. The boot method used will always be based on the native boot method of the given OS. For example, network based boot of Windows and Linux clients will make use of PXE boot protocols.  A Solaris environment will use JumpStart. However, Solaris Sparc servers cannot boot Solaris x86 clients and vice versa.

For all that I have written above, you basically need to do three things:

1. Initialize the BMR Master (bmrd) and BMRDB: bmrsetupmaster
2. Create/Initialize BMR Boot servers (bmrbd):  bmrsetupboot -register
3. Create required SRT boot images:  bmrsrtadm

And, as noted above, your best means of getting used to the BMR recovery environment is to do some test restores ahead of any real need to do a DR recovery.  For that I recommend

1. Get a test server and install an OS and NBU client software. The amount of data on the server is of no consequence.

2. Do  FULL backup of the test client.

3. Do a Prepare To Restore operation on the Master Server. See the BMR Admin Guide for assistance.

4. Boot the test client by the designated boot method and recover the client.

Once you feel comfortable of recovering back to the exact same server that created the backup image, you can expand out to some of the more complex extensions to the product, such as doing a restore to different hardware, known as a Dissimilar System Restore (DSR).

From experience working with previous customers, I have found that the learning curve can be seen as steep but after a few test recoveries the process makes sense and is much easier for future recoveries, i.e. practice makes better.

And, in looking at all that I have written, I think I need to publish an article for all of this to assist any future customers.

:

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I would add one more "basic" step. After creating the SRT, enable the BMR option in the backup policy and do a FULL backup of the clients.

With that in place you are fully set up to perform a DR recovery of a client usng BMR.

Marianne
Level 6

Great article posted here on Connect by our own Jaime:

Basic setup steps for the Bare Metal Restore (BMR) option to NBU 

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

Special thanx to Jamie for sharing that information.

I have installed and configured the boot server for LINUX on my boot server and further I am going to device policy for the NB client for full backup.

Just a quick question, the backup should be raw or file level?

Marianne
Level 6
File-level backup with Standard policy type and ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in Backup Selection is all that is required.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

One other thing to note:

• Collect BMR must be check marked in the policy
  • Change "Keep true image restoration (TIR) information" setting in the Clean-Up section of the master server host properties to >= 10 days.

If the "keep true image" is shorter than number of days between full backup, any BMR restore will result in a error message that no full backup are available. Allow some slack in the "keep true image" to allow failed backups.

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello Marianne,

I configured BMR policyw ith all local drived option, but is giving error as "/tmp is not part of / skipping".

Now I have changed the backup selection to / and relaunched the backup.

lets see.

But this is weird as local drives would include the FS like /opt in which third party SW are installed and also NB is installed in /usr directory.

Please suggest.

Marianne
Level 6

This is not an error - just a notice.

..... is in a different file system 
is because 'Cross mount points' is NOT selected in the policy. So when / filesystem is getting backed up, no other filesystems will be backed up as part of / (root filesystem).

If you have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in backup selection with 'allow multiple data streams', you will see a different job for this filestem. If not selected, you will see this (and other) filesystem(s) being backed up after / backup has completed.

DO NOT check 'Cross mount points' when ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is in backup selection. 
This will result in duplicate backups - as part of / and when it gets to the mount point.

Seeing the message when / is backed up is perfectly normal. Separate filesystems must not be backed as part of /.

There all also certain filesystem types that are skipped by default - see  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52350

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

I have configured the policy without the cross mount option but i have included the other FS using bpplinclude -add option. the details og the policy is mentioned underneath:

Policy Name:       BMR_FULL_BACKUP_POLICY
Options:           0x0
template:          FALSE
audit_reason:         ?
Names:             (none)
Policy Type:       Standard (0)
Active:            yes
Effective date:    05/30/2015 07:49:52
Client Compress:   no
Follow NFS Mnts:   no
Cross Mnt Points:  no
Collect TIR info:      yes, with move detection
Block Incremental: no
Mult. Data Stream: no
Perform Snapshot Backup:   no
Snapshot Method:           (none)
Snapshot Method Arguments: (none)
Perform Offhost Backup:    no
Backup Copy:               0
Use Data Mover:            no
Data Mover Type:           2
Use Alternate Client:      no
Alternate Client Name:     (none)
Use Virtual Machine:      0
Hyper-V Server Name:     (none)
Enable Instant Recovery:   no
Policy Priority:   20
Max Jobs/Policy:   Unlimited
Disaster Recovery: 0
Collect BMR Info:  yes
Keyword:           (none specified)
Data Classification:       -
Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:    no
Client Encrypt:    no
Checkpoint:        no
Residence:         DISKPOOL
Volume Pool:       NetBackup
Server Group:      *ANY*
Granular Restore Info:  no
Exchange Source attributes:              no
Exchange 2010 Preferred Server: (none defined)
Application Discovery:      no
Discovery Lifetime:      0 seconds
ASC Application and attributes: (none defined)
Generation:      23
Ignore Client Direct:  no
Enable Metadata Indexing:  no
Index server name:  NULL
Use Accelerator:  no
Client/HW/OS/Pri/DMI:  satclient11 Linux RedHat2.6.18 0 0 0 0 ?
Include:           /
Include:           /home
Include:           /boot
Include:           /opt
Include:           /tmp
Include:           /var
Include:           /var/crash
Schedule:              Full_weekly
  Type:                FULL (0)
  Frequency:           7 day(s) (604800 seconds)
  Maximum MPX:         1
  Synthetic:           0
  Checksum Change Detection: 0
  PFI Recovery:        0
  Retention Level:     3 (1 month)
  u-wind/o/d:          0 0
  Incr Type:           DELTA (0)
  Alt Read Host:       (none defined)
  Max Frag Size:       0 MB
  Number Copies:       1
  Fail on Error:       0
  Residence:           DISKPOOL
  Volume Pool:         (same as policy volume pool)
  Server Group:        (same as specified for policy)
  Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:         0
  Schedule indexing:     0
  Daily Windows:
   Day         Open       Close       W-Open     W-Close
   Sunday      000:00:00  024:00:00   000:00:00  024:00:00  
   Monday      000:00:00  000:00:00
   Tuesday     000:00:00  000:00:00
   Wednesday   000:00:00  000:00:00
   Thursday    000:00:00  000:00:00
   Friday      000:00:00  000:00:00
   Saturday    000:00:00  024:00:00   144:00:00  168:00:00  

I have the FS being backed up and able to see the files in GUI, but still not able to see the client in "bare metal restore clients" at th left hand side in gui. I understand that the client is automatically registered in GUI after the initial full backup. But here seems to be some issue.

Please suggest.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Why not / and "cross mount point" check marked ?

Or even better using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

All those data you don't want backup off you exclude using exclude_list in /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list on the clients.

Its bad mojo using customized backup selections. 

Take this list:

Include:           /home
Include:           /boot
Include:           /opt
Include:           /tmp
Include:           /var
Include:           /var/crash

What happen if /data is added on the client ?. Do you have processes in place to notify you , can you grantee it works every time a change is made ?

By using / with "cross mount point" or using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES don't have that problem.

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello Nicolai,

I have made the prescribed changes and listed the policy below.

Policy Name:       BMR_FULL_BACKUP_POLICY
Options:           0x0
template:          FALSE
audit_reason:         ?
Names:             (none)
Policy Type:       Standard (0)
Active:            yes
Effective date:    05/30/2015 07:49:52
Client Compress:   no
Follow NFS Mnts:   no
Cross Mnt Points:  yes
Collect TIR info:      yes, with move detection
Block Incremental: no
Mult. Data Stream: no
Perform Snapshot Backup:   no
Snapshot Method:           (none)
Snapshot Method Arguments: (none)
Perform Offhost Backup:    no
Backup Copy:               0
Use Data Mover:            no
Data Mover Type:           -1
Use Alternate Client:      no
Alternate Client Name:     (none)
Use Virtual Machine:      0
Hyper-V Server Name:     (none)
Enable Instant Recovery:   no
Policy Priority:   20
Max Jobs/Policy:   Unlimited
Disaster Recovery: 0
Collect BMR Info:  yes
Keyword:           (none specified)
Data Classification:       -
Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:    no
Client Encrypt:    no
Checkpoint:        no
Residence:         -
Volume Pool:       NetBackup
Server Group:      *ANY*
Granular Restore Info:  no
Exchange Source attributes:              no
Exchange 2010 Preferred Server: (none defined)
Application Discovery:      no
Discovery Lifetime:      0 seconds
ASC Application and attributes: (none defined)
Generation:      35
Ignore Client Direct:  no
Enable Metadata Indexing:  no
Index server name:  NULL
Use Accelerator:  no
Client/HW/OS/Pri/DMI:  eul3630.sgp.st.com Linux RedHat2.6.18 0 0 0 0 ?
Schedule:              Full_weekly
  Type:                FULL (0)
  Frequency:           7 day(s) (604800 seconds)
  Maximum MPX:         1
  Synthetic:           0
  Checksum Change Detection: 0
  PFI Recovery:        0
  Retention Level:     1 (2 weeks)
  u-wind/o/d:          0 0
  Incr Type:           DELTA (0)
  Alt Read Host:       (none defined)
  Max Frag Size:       0 MB
  Number Copies:       1
  Fail on Error:       0
  Residence:           (specific storage unit not required)
  Volume Pool:         (same as policy volume pool)
  Server Group:        (same as specified for policy)
  Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:         0
  Schedule indexing:     0
  Daily Windows:
   Day         Open       Close       W-Open     W-Close
   Sunday      000:00:00  024:00:00   000:00:00  024:00:00  
   Monday      000:00:00  000:00:00
   Tuesday     000:00:00  000:00:00
   Wednesday   000:00:00  000:00:00
   Thursday    000:00:00  000:00:00
   Friday      000:00:00  000:00:00
   Saturday    000:00:00  024:00:00   144:00:00  168:00:00  

I initiated the manual backup of the client using this policy, initially it failed with error 96, but the third time it got completed. Still the parent job ended in partial status, can you please let me know if the child process has failed a single instance although completed later after retry would the parent job status will be partial?

I have checked the files have been backed up bay the NB server, but I am not able to see the client name (eul3630.sgp.st.com) in the BMR client list.

Client               Operating System                    Id  
-------------------- ----------------------------------- ----
10.75.34.229         LINUX RHEL 6.0 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 1687
eul2014.sgp.st.com   LINUX RHEL 5.10 2.6.18-371.el5      1691
eul2016.sgp.st.com   LINUX RHEL 5.10 2.6.18-371.el5      1692
eux091.sgp.st.com    HP 11.11                            1693
eux290.sgp.st.com    HP 11.31                            432 
euxt91.sgp.st.com    HP 11.11                            418 
ldaphub07.sgp.st.com SOL 5.8                             1316
satclient12          LINUX RHEL 6.0 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 1589
testvm3              LINUX RHEL 5.5 2.6.18-274.17.1.el5  818 

Aftre the NB server have collected the BMR information from the client it should list the client in the above output, Right? Or I need to execute any command at the client side as well?

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Verify the client display situation by running this command on the Master Server:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bmrs -o list -res Client

This displays the clients registered to BMR Master.  If you do not see the client name, then you need to diagnose the issue using the steps in this TECH article:

BMR enabled backup jobs fail with status code 1
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH207639

There shold be some indication of the problem in the details of the Activity Monitor for the "parent" job that was run initially ahead of the actual backup data streams.  The cleint process "bmrsavecfg" runs ahead of the backup by NBU.  It dos not affect the actual backup jobs, once it completes.

The client configuration registration will fail either on the client (the bmrsavecfg failed) or on the Master (the client data could be inserted into the BMRDB). The steps in the article will point out where.

What is the version of NetBackup in use on the Master and on the Client?

What is the version of the Linux OS on the client in question?

Marianne
Level 6

... Still the parent job ended in partial status....

Please show us all text in Details tab of the parent job.

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello Marianne,

The details of the parent job are:

06/03/2015 07:56:44 - Info nbjm (pid=3637) starting backup job (jobid=773461) for client eul3630.sgp.st.com, policy BMR_FULL_BACKUP_POLICY, schedule Full_weekly
06/03/2015 07:56:44 - Info nbjm (pid=3637) requesting STANDARD_RESOURCE resources from RB for backup job (jobid=773461, request id:{504DA83C-09B5-11E5-933F-001CC4C523BB})
06/03/2015 07:56:44 - requesting resource Any
06/03/2015 07:56:44 - requesting resource eux290.sgp.st.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.eul3630.sgp.st.com
06/03/2015 07:56:44 - requesting resource eux290.sgp.st.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.BMR_FULL_BACKUP_POLICY
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - granted resource  eux290.sgp.st.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.eul3630.sgp.st.com
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - granted resource  eux290.sgp.st.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.BMR_FULL_BACKUP_POLICY
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - granted resource  0522L4
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - granted resource  IBM.ULT3580-TD4.008
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - granted resource  eux290-hcart-robot-tld-0
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - estimated 0 kbytes needed
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - begin Parent Job
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - begin Bare Metal Restore: Start Notify Script
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - Info RUNCMD (pid=1676) started
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - Info RUNCMD (pid=1676) exiting with status: 0
Operation Status: 0
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - end Bare Metal Restore: Start Notify Script; elapsed time 0:00:00
06/03/2015 07:56:50 - begin Bare Metal Restore: Bare Metal Restore Save
06/03/2015 07:56:52 - started process bpbrm (pid=1754)
Operation Status: 26
06/03/2015 07:56:53 - collecting BMR information
06/03/2015 07:56:53 - connecting
06/03/2015 07:56:54 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00
06/03/2015 07:56:54 - transfering BMR information to the master server
06/03/2015 07:56:54 - connecting
06/03/2015 07:56:54 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00
06/03/2015 07:57:03 - end Bare Metal Restore: Bare Metal Restore Save; elapsed time 0:00:13
06/03/2015 07:57:03 - begin Bare Metal Restore: Policy Execution Manager Preprocessed
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - end Bare Metal Restore: Policy Execution Manager Preprocessed; elapsed time 0:25:25
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - begin Bare Metal Restore: End Notify Script
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - Info RUNCMD (pid=2994) started
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - Info RUNCMD (pid=2994) exiting with status: 0
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - end Bare Metal Restore: End Notify Script; elapsed time 0:00:00
Operation Status: 1
06/03/2015 08:22:28 - end Parent Job; elapsed time 0:25:38
the requested operation was partially successful  (1)

################

@Jamie: I went through  your procedure and executed the commands and got the following OP:

[root@eul3630 bin]# ./vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 121 -s DebugLevel=5
The configuration settings were added successfully.
[root@eul3630 bin]# bmrsavecfg -infoonly
-bash: bmrsavecfg: command not found
[root@eul3630 bin]# ./bmrsavecfg -infoonly
  Volume group "lvol1" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol1
  Volume group "lvol2" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol2
  Volume group "lvol3" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol3
  Volume group "lvol4" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol4
  Volume group "lvol5" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol5
  Volume group "lvol6" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol6
  Volume group "lvol7" not found
  Skipping volume group lvol7
[root@eul3630 bin]# vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 121 -s DebugLevel=1
-bash: vxlogcfg: command not found
[root@eul3630 bin]# ./vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 121 -s DebugLevel=1
The configuration settings were added successfully.

The logs are showing the following information:

[root@eul3630 bin]# ./vxlogview -i 121
06/03/2015 07:56:54.312 [fileAttribsCommon.cpp:FileExistsCommon()] Could not do stat on file /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/
06/03/2015 07:56:54.378 [fileAttribsCommon.cpp:IsFileReadableCommon()] Could not do stat on file /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/ClientCustomFiles
06/03/2015 07:56:56.892 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22585 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:56:56.892 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:57.137 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22637 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:56:57.137 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:57.660 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22652 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:57.660 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:57.912 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22654 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:57.920 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:58.140 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22656 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:58.140 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:58.311 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22658 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:58.311 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:58.494 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22660 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:58.494 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:58.702 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22662 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:58.702 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:59.004 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22664 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:59.004 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:56:59.604 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22670 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:56:59.604 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:00.035 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22678 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:00.035 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:00.426 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22684 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:00.426 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:00.793 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22690 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:00.793 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:01.147 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22696 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:01.147 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:01.541 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22702 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:01.541 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.016 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22708 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 07:57:02.016 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.178 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22746 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.178 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.182 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22747 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.182 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.186 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22748 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.186 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.190 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22749 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.191 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.195 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22750 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.195 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.199 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=22751 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.199 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.199 [fileAttribsCommon.cpp:IsFileExecutableCommon()] Could not do stat on file /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hares
06/03/2015 07:57:02.675 [CBmrSaveCfg.cpp:sendDiscovery()] BMROP_IMPORT failed, rc=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.675 [Error] V-121-27 Failed to import Config file.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.683 [CBmrSaveCfg::discover()] Failed sending the discovery, rc=1, mode=1
06/03/2015 07:57:02.683 [Error] V-121-21 Failed sending the discovery.
06/03/2015 07:57:02.683 [Error] V-121-35 BMR information discovery failed.
06/03/2015 10:58:54.156 [main.cpp:bmrmain()] Entering, line=524, command line: ./bmrsavecfg -infoonly
06/03/2015 10:58:54.157 [main.cpp:savecfgProcessOptions()] Entering, line=79
06/03/2015 10:58:54.157 [main.cpp:savecfgProcessOptions()] Exiting, line=474, return BMR_SUCCESS
06/03/2015 10:58:54.157 [CBmrSaveCfg::discover()] Entering CBmrSaveCfg::discover in CBmrSaveCfg.cpp at 251.
06/03/2015 10:58:54.157 [CBmrSaveCfg::CreateDataDirectory()] Entering, line=205, dirName=/usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/
06/03/2015 10:58:54.157 [CBmrSaveCfg::CreateDataDirectory()] Exiting, line=238, rc=0
06/03/2015 10:58:54.158 [CBmrSaveCfg.cpp:setEsm()] Entering CBmrSaveCfg::setEsm in CBmrSaveCfg.cpp at 121.
06/03/2015 10:58:54.159 [CBmrSaveCfg.cpp:setEsm()] calling timeout with a bp.conf value of 0
06/03/2015 10:58:54.159 [BmrTimeoutCommon.cpp:BmrSavecfgTimeout()] Entering, line=47 timeout (sec) = 0
06/03/2015 10:58:54.159 [BmrTimeoutCommon.cpp:BmrSavecfgTimeout()] Exiting. alarm (re)set.
06/03/2015 10:58:54.160 [CBmrSaveCfg.cpp:setEsm()] Leaving CBmrSaveCfg::setEsm rc = 0.
06/03/2015 10:58:54.178 [fileAttribsCommon.cpp:IsFileReadableCommon()] Could not do stat on file /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/ClientCustomFiles
06/03/2015 10:58:56.184 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23469 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:58:56.184 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:56.255 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23521 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:58:56.255 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:56.597 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23536 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:56.597 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:56.809 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23538 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:56.809 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:57.067 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23540 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:57.067 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:57.235 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23542 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:57.235 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:57.431 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23544 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:57.431 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:57.713 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23546 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:57.713 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:57.950 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23548 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:57.950 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:58.444 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23554 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:58.444 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:59.034 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23560 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:59.035 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:58:59.585 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23566 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:58:59.585 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:00.079 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23573 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:59:00.079 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:00.567 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23579 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:59:00.567 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.074 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23585 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:59:01.074 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.495 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23591 exited with non-zero status=5
06/03/2015 10:59:01.495 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.603 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23629 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.603 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.607 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23630 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.607 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.611 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23631 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.611 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.616 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23632 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.616 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.620 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23633 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.620 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.624 [bmrSystemCommon.cpp:BmrSystemCommon()] Child process pid=23634 exited with non-zero status=1
06/03/2015 10:59:01.624 V-128-128 [CSaveCfgFile.cpp:execute()] Failed to configure VxVM.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.624 [fileAttribsCommon.cpp:IsFileExecutableCommon()] Could not do stat on file /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hares
06/03/2015 10:59:01.624 [CBmrSaveCfg::saveDiscovery()] Entering
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [CBmrSaveCfg.cpp:readFileIntoTarBuffer()] Exiting, rc=0
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [CBmrSaveCfg::writeBundle()] Entering.
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [CBmrSaveCfg::writeBundle()] Exiting,  rc=0
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [CBmrSaveCfg::saveDiscovery()] Exiting,  rc=0
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [CBmrSaveCfg::discover()] Exiting, rc=0
06/03/2015 10:59:01.628 [main.cpp:bmrmain()] Exiting, line=572, return rc=0
[root@eul3630 bin]#

I have checked that VXVM is not installed on the server then why would it try to configure it?

regards,

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

bmrd process is running on the server.

2 vCurrentVersion Entries:
    Id = 1
    Name = SCHEMA
    Version = 7.5.0.4
    Checksum = 2011
    DateTime = 1368072843

Id = 2
    Name = PREVIOUS_SCHEMA
    Version = 7.5.0.0
    Checksum = 2011
    DateTime = 1368072843

regards,

Marianne
Level 6

06/03/2015 07:56:50 - begin Bare Metal Restore: Bare Metal Restore Save
06/03/2015 07:56:52 - started process bpbrm (pid=1754)
Operation Status: 26

See this TN:

BMR enabled backup job is partially successful (1) after upgrading to Netbackup 7.5.0.4, Parent job details shows Status 26
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200322 

Extract from TN: 

Solution

The formal resolution for this issue (Etrack 2991491) is included in the following release:

• NetBackup Bare Metal Restore 7.5 Maintenance Release 5 (7.5.0.5)

NetBackup 7.5.0.5 is now available - please access the Related Article below for more information.

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

I had a discussion with Symantec and it came out that I need to upgrade Master Server and client to 7.6.1.1 atleast for configuring BMR.

We are using the Linux 6.5 so NBU client needs to be updated to 7.6.1.1 so subsequently need to upgrade the master as well.

Regards,