cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR error (winsvr 2012R2) netbackup 7.6.0.1

engrmervin
Level 3

I was following this discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-bmr-problem

status code of parent job is 1

im backing up all drive with bare metal restore function, my problem is no mbr client appering.

Please help.

I think the problem is the master server.

FYI im a total newbie about this netbackup

I run the script given:

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

bmrsavecfg -infoonly

vxlogview -p 51216 -i 121 -d all -t 00:10:00 >bmrsavecfg.txt

here is the output of bmrsavecfg.txt

7/1/2014 16:46:47.597 [Debug] NB 51216 bmrcommon 128 PID:1108 TID:20828 File ID:121 [No context] 1 [CSystemAgent.cpp:discover()] Failed verifying OS support for 6.2.
7/1/2014 16:46:47.598 [Debug] NB 51216 bmrcommon 128 PID:1108 TID:20828 File ID:121 [No context] 1 [CWinSystemAgent.cpp:discover()] An error occurred while discovering system, rc=4
7/1/2014 16:46:47.598 [Debug] NB 51216 bmrsavecfg 121 PID:1108 TID:20828 File ID:121 [No context] 1 [CBmrSaveCfg::discover()] sysAgent->discover failed, rc=4
7/1/2014 16:46:47.598 [Application] NB 51216 bmrsavecfg 121 PID:1108 TID:20828 File ID:121 [No context] [Error] V-121-12 Failed to discover System.
7/1/2014 16:46:47.609 [Application] NB 51216 bmrsavecfg 121 PID:1108 TID:20828 File ID:121 [No context] [Error] V-121-35 BMR information discovery failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you look in the NBU OS Compatibility Guide, you will see that BMR Client/Boot Server support for W2012 began in NetBackup 7.6.0.2.

You need to upgrade your master and client.

Detailed BMR instructions in NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Administrator's Guide 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

If you look in the NBU OS Compatibility Guide, you will see that BMR Client/Boot Server support for W2012 began in NetBackup 7.6.0.2.

You need to upgrade your master and client.

Detailed BMR instructions in NetBackup Bare Metal Restore Administrator's Guide 

engrmervin
Level 3

i can't live update, 

client is not validated to use the server (131)

any idea on this?

edited*

now im downloading this http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214571

we'll comeback for updates, thanks

engrmervin
Level 3

please post suggestion to my problem:

all servers of my client will be optimized, meaning i need to bare metal backup them then restore them using dissimilar environment (bcause of optimization we will replace the hard disk with faster rpm), the problem is the NBU master server will also be optimized.

is there any standalone backup/restore technique that does not require the master server?

Marianne

No. Not in NetBackup.

The purpose of BMR is to create a boot image for the client (via boot cd or boot server), and then prompts the master server to start the restore of system drives and (optionally) data drives.

As per Introduction in Chapter 1 of BMR Manual:

About Bare Metal Restore
NetBackup Bare Metal Restore (BMR) is the server recovery option of NetBackup.
BMR automates and streamlines the server recovery process, making it
unnecessary to reinstall operating systems or configure hardware manually. You
can restore servers in a fraction of the time without extensive training or tedious
administration.
BMR restores the operating system, the system configuration, and all the system
files and the data files with the following steps:
■ Run one command from the NetBackup master server.
■ Reboot the client.
Separate system backups or reinstallations are not required.

Table 1-1 shows the components of a BMR protection domain.

engrmervin
Level 3

Thanks! We solved the problem in other way.

I can now see a mbr client. Parent and child job status is 0, but parent log does have an error:

7/2/2014 3:11:57 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=47876) BMRERR: Received BMR error: The driver for Smart Array P420i Controller (Media Driver) is not compatible with Windows PE. You may need to create a driver package that is Windows PE compatible to restore this system using Bare Metal Restore.

I did download a driver for hp P420i raid controller and put it in driver package wizard (mbr boot server assistant).

error still persist, can you give me a link of windows PE driver for HP smart array P420i? (i know this is a dumb request but I spend 4 hrs looking for the right driver)

but if this error can't be solved do you think mbr to the client will still go?

Marianne

Sorry - no idea...

Hopefully someone else can help.

Probably best to ask for assistance in a new forum discussion to resolve the driver issue.

engrmervin
Level 3

Thanks Marianne!

Ill open a new forum for that error.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I wanted to add a small but significant addition.  As Marianne pointed out, Windows 2012 as a BMR Client/Boot Server requires 7.6.02.

However, that is not the same for Windows 2012 R2.  The R2 version will be supported in a future release (which I believe to be the upcoming 7.6.0.3 release). That is not to say that it would not work, but technically it is not supported.