cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR for only system drive

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I have Veritas Netbackup Server 6.5 with win2003 Server R2.
I have a system with multiple drives. is that possible to take a BMR backup and BMR restore of only single drive/ System drive
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zahid_Haseeb
Got it

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-netbackup-65

Thanks AmolV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
the BMR Admin Guide, hopefully it answers your query!

"...
BMR always restores the system disk. For other disks, the following two options on the Prepare to Restore Client dialog box control BMR behavior:
Restore system disks/volumes only. If you select this option, BMR restores only the system disk. Otherwise, BMR tries to import (reuse) non-system disks that are based on the disk class and the following option. System disk is defined as the following:
    ■ On AIX and HP-UX, the root volume groups (rootvg and vg00) are restored.
    ■ On Solaris, all disks that have any of the root file systems (/, /swap, /var, /usr) are restored.
    ■ On Windows, all disks that have %SystemRoot%, %SystemBoot%, and %TEMP% are restored. On Active Directory servers, BMR also restores the disks that contain the Active Directory system, database, and log files.
Make available volumes on non-restored disks after the system is restored. If you select this option, BMR imports the disks. Otherwise, the action depends on the disk class.
..."

Zahid_Haseeb

Thanks Andy for your kind reply. But where can i get these two options in Netbackup

Restore system disks/volumes only
Make available volumes on non-restored disks after the system is restored

note:- I actually want to take only one drive backup which is system drive, so may i only mentioned one/single drive in the backup selection of Veritas Netbackup ? OR All drives of client system ?(i have around 4 drives and all have data in GB but i dont want to take the BMR of all partitions, i just want to mention system partition in the backup selection in the Veritas Netbackup)

Thanks in Advance

AmolV
Level 5
1. Select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in the backup-selection but then have an exclude list for the BMR policy so that only the system drive will be backed up.
2. When doing a PTR, choose the "System Only Restore" option. This would be very important or else BMR will reformat all your other drives too which you wouldnt have backed up.

Does this help?

Zahid_Haseeb
Would you please help me in excluding the driver. i mean an example plz

thanks in advance

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
or directory.

In Admin Console GUI, within client properties/exclude lists, create an exclude list entry (for the policy in question only) & add in all the drives you need to be excluded e.g. C:\, E:\ etc

Then when doing the PTR (Prepare To Restore) ensure you select "System Only Restore" as stated by AmolV.

Zahid_Haseeb
Got it

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-netbackup-65

Thanks AmolV

Will_Restore
Level 6
unless your excluded drive is backed up under another policy