Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR in tagged vlan?

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified
 Hello,

We tested bmr for a client in a different subnet than the master server is in. We had an issue because the restoring client (booting from NB bootable CD) could not contact the master server . The client is in a different network than master and boot server. I thought I could workaround this, booting with the NB SRT bootable cd and setting gateway Ip address, netmask, etc. This client has four network devices (eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3), each two in bonding  (eth0+eth1=bond0.vlanX  and eth2+eth3=bond0.vlanY) with a tagged vlan. During the CD based BMR boot, I set the client IP address  known by the master server, netmask, gateway and ip of master server....but the client tried to contact the master via eth1...eth2...eth2...eth4...without success.
We suppose that the problem could be that the network we use from/to the switch is a tagged vlan and booting from NB SRT bootable CD need an untagged vlan network ...
Is tagging vlan on network devices supported by Netbackup bare metal restore process.....?

Other times I tested BMR, the clients had always been in same network of master server, so this issue did not arise.
Was I clear enough in explaining? Any helps....?

Thanks in advance

Andrea

------
Master NB 6.5.4 (Linux  x86 RhEL AS4.8)
Media Server NB 6.5.4(Linux x86_64 RhEl 4 and RhEL 5.5)
Client: NB 6.5.4 (RHEL 5.5 x86_64)
Boot Server:  NB 6.5.4 (RhEL 5.5 x86-64)
4 REPLIES 4

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Drop your client onto shell prompt in BMR recovery environment.
Run ifconfig -a command. Do you see correct client IP set here.
Check if you can ping you master server using IP and using master name. Verify /etc/hosts in recovery env as well.

It would be great if you can paste your client screen o/p in BMR restore env. I can guide you on the solution.

Thanks.
-Mandar

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified
I could not ping master server: it is in a different subnet. We took a screenshot (please have attached), when bmr job dropped in recovery shell.
It is possible in this shell to reconfigure network device according to bond/tagged vlan and still go on with bare metal restore job? How can I?

Thanks.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee
Is 10.4.5.16 ip of the bmr master server?
When BMR Media boot asked for "Enter the client's default gateway (dotted decimal form) :", did you enter gateway which can resolve to bmr master server ip?
I would suggest trying ifconfig command manually on this restore env shell to set correct ip settings and see if you can ping bmr master server and vice versa as well.
If it works please provide here all the correct ip settings and differences with older ip settings. So before you set correct settings, make a note of what BMR has set. Use ifconfig -a, netstat -r, cat /etc/hosts to capture the existing settings of client ip, gw, netmask etc.
I would then suggest you next step to make it functional.

Thanks.
-Mandar

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified
Thank you, Mandar.
unfortunately the server we had the issue is in production now and I do not have any other spare server now to test any solution for that problem. I will post next time with complete info needed. 

Thank you.