cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR point in time

jim_dalton
Level 6

Hi All

I'm curious about point in time restore.

Master=7.1Solaris

Client for BMR = Windows

Target box=some unknown piece of kit ie we are at DR.

BMRboot=W2008R2

Question 1: at DR invocation/test what happens with the bmrs information?

What I mean is: when you choose a new point in time (ie not current) configuration, netbackup kicks off a restore to recover the config (bundle.dat) at that chose point in time / policy, via a bmrs -operation retrieve -resource ...-client ... process. Is this config file deposited someplace or is it piped straight into the netbackup bmrs command? And if someplace, then where....?

Am I correct in assuming that it will restore the Primary copy should there be more than one copy?

Assuming this bmrs phase succeeds, should the resultant point-in-time config be editable? I ask since at DR it patently wasnt (right click 'Change...' was greyed out) and as you  can imagine this makes reconfiguration rather tricky.

We require the ability to restore to a point in time and to edit that point in time configuration to recover to different hardware.

TIA,Jim

4 REPLIES 4

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

>>> What I mean is: when you choose a new point in time (ie not current) configuration, netbackup kicks off a restore to recover the config (bundle.dat) at that chose point in time / policy, via a bmrs -operation retrieve -resource ...-client ... process. Is this config file deposited someplace or is it piped straight into the netbackup bmrs command? And if someplace, then where....?

<mandar> for bmr pit restore, bmrs is fired to get bundle.dat file from that particular selected backup and then import happens for retrieved bundle. Then user start seing mentioned configuration name under that client name drop-down.

>> Assuming this bmrs phase succeeds, should the resultant point-in-time config be editable?

<mandar>By default, BMR keeps PIT imported config read-only. User can certainly create copy of it and edit it as required. Then do Prepare To Restore using this editable copy.

Now editable configuration will be created during restore and selected PIT backup will be restored.

I hope this is what you wanted to know.

Thanks.

-Mandar

jim_dalton
Level 6

Hello Mandar

Im interested in the restore of the bundle. Is the system aware of multiple copies of the file and does it always pick the primary copy?

How does it manage to get the import onto the target machine, the master? This isnt as silly as it sounds: in my case I have a windows BMR client and a Solaris master and netbackup refuses to restore a file across the platforms: its not possible (by the gui).

Thanks,Jim

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Im interested in the restore of the bundle. Is the system aware of multiple copies of the file and does it always pick the primary copy?

<mandar> It tries to pick from /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/bundle.dat

How does it manage to get the import onto the target machine, the master?

<mandar> Uses bprestore CLI

In my case I have a windows BMR client and a Solaris master and netbackup refuses to restore a file across the platforms: its not possible (by the gui).

<mandar> Actually this is a tested scenario.

Only debug logs and other info like bundle.dat would provide more info on the problem root cause.

I would suggest opening SR ticket with Symantec on this as it needs some info to debug the issue.

Thanks.

-Mandar

jim_dalton
Level 6

<jim>Im interested in the restore of the bundle. Is the system aware of multiple copies of the file and does it always pick the primary copy?

<mandar> It tries to pick from /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client/data/bundle.dat

But which _copy_, Mandar? I've written 2 identical copies of this file to separate tapes so when it does the restore it has to pick one of the copies. I'm keen to know which copy.This maps directly to the -copy option in bprestore.

<jim>How does it manage to get the import onto the target machine, the master?

<mandar> Uses bprestore CLI

well yes...thats clear...but...

<jim>In my case I have a windows BMR client and a Solaris master and netbackup refuses to restore a file across the platforms: its not possible (by the gui).

<mandar> Actually this is a tested scenario.

OK so youre telling me that even tho' you cant do this via the restore gui , it can be done via the cmdline?

Am I correct in thinking thats your statement, and its tested and supported?

In which case..why is it prohibited on the gui?  I have my doubts...!

Cheers,Jim