cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR, questions re PXE boot versus ISO boot...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Master: N5230 v2.6.1.2

Admin host: Windows 2012 (not R2) NetBackup v7.6.1.2

Clients:  Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012, Windows 2012 R2 - all NetBackup v7.6.1.1

All clients are VMs running in Hyper-V on CSV volumes on Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V clusters.

My understanding is that for NetBackup Client BMR network PXE boot style recovery that I need certain ports (client to server), specifically UDP/67/bootp, UDP/69/tftp, TCP/445/smb, TCP/4011/altserviceboot, and the typical TCP/1556/vxpbx.

Our security guys are not happy about opening TCP/445/smb, so I was thinking of instead of PXE booting for guest VM client based BMR recovery, to instead use BMR boot ISOs.

My questions:

1) If I go the BMR boot ISO model, then do we still need TCP/445/smb from NetBackup Client to NetBackup Server ?

2) If I go the BMR boot ISO mdoel, then can I also avoid having to open up network firewall ports for UDP/67/bootp, UDP/69/tftp, TCP/4011/altserviceboot?

Thanks.

Update:  I have since found that TCP/13724 is definitely required from master/media to BMR ISO booted client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: no - only 1556/PBX

2: Yes Yes YES

I large networks using the PBX boot is just not a path to go. PXE request are MAC based and will not cross any routers unless some sort of forwarder is configured. Our BMR process is based on ISO boot only.

You can also just restore the entire container where the VM is located in as Riaan say. But I have an ide that you know this, and have somthing else in mind :D

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Confused, why you trying to use BMR for virtual guests?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: no - only 1556/PBX

2: Yes Yes YES

I large networks using the PBX boot is just not a path to go. PXE request are MAC based and will not cross any routers unless some sort of forwarder is configured. Our BMR process is based on ISO boot only.

You can also just restore the entire container where the VM is located in as Riaan say. But I have an ide that you know this, and have somthing else in mind :D

sdo

Chaps... I'm heading down the BMR route for the Hyper-V virtual machines because VM style backups of Hyper-V VMs is perhaps not as feature rich as those for VMware.  If you read between the lines, and extrapolate the consequences from this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/hyper-v-backups-including-deleted-blocks

...then, IMO, I can't see how I can have a point-in-time recovery, e.g. mid-week, from a Hyper-V VM style differential backup - unless I do a full backup every day.  Unless I'm being dull (which in all honesty is very likely) and I'm missing something obvious?

Nicolai... thanks for confirming.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ahhh, sorry, not been keeping up with all posts.

sdo

Hey no worries - I did post that other link some time ago.  :)