cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR questions

gumbo
Level 4

I have a few questions that I wanted to clarify after reading the BMR admin manual.

1. What is the purpose of linking a policy to a restore?

2. The BMR admin document states "A single SRT can restore all Windows version" <- I thought there were restrictions whereas, a Windows 32-bit can only restore all Win 32, and a Windows 64-bit can only restore all windows 64-bit systems?

3. Is it true that only the boot server have to be of the same type of OS as the client server that is being restored? (i.e. A Window03 master server with SUSE Linux 10 boot server can restore a SUSE Linux 10 client?)

4. During a NetBackup backup, can users be using the system concurrently? If so, where does NBU draw the line between how 'recent' of the data they would back up?

5. During a BMR restore, there is an option to 'restore/import disks'. I understand if this is checked, BMR will restore system-dependent disks and import non-system-dependent disks. Say a system crashed and corrupted the non-system-dependent disks and the user did not know this. They checked the 'restore/import disks' option during the restore process. Will BMR import and restore the corrupted non-system-dependent-disks?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Here are answers:

<Mandar> You may have protected your client using more than one policy and you may want to restore client data backed-up by a particular policy where this option helps.

2. The BMR admin document states "A single SRT can restore all Windows version" <- I thought there were restrictions whereas, a Windows 32-bit can only restore all Win 32, and a Windows 64-bit can only restore all windows 64-bit systems?

<Mandar> Irrespective of BMR Boot server OS (i.e. windows 2003 or windows 2008) and architecture (32 bit or 64 bit), you can create SRT of architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) on that boot server. Using this boot server, to restore windows client (either 2k3 or 2k8) of architecture 32-bit, you have to use 32-bit srt. And for windows client 64-bit restoration, you need to use 64-bit SRT.

I hope this is clear.

5. During a BMR restore, there is an option to 'restore/import disks'. I understand if this is checked, BMR will restore system-dependent disks and import non-system-dependent disks. Say a system crashed and corrupted the non-system-dependent disks and the user did not know this. They checked the 'restore/import disks' option during the restore process. Will BMR import and restore the corrupted non-system-dependent-disks?

<Mandar> Are you talking about below options?

a. Restore system disks/volumes only

b. Make availablevolumesonnon-restoreddisksafterthesystem
is restored (This import)

When b is marked, non-selected volumes ( refer bmrconfig GUI) will not be restored and BMR will try to just import them.

In your example, if system only restore and import options both are selected and non-system volumes are crashed then BMR will not restore them as its system-only restore and import process will fail as the non-system volumes are crashed.

Thanks.

-Mandar

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

Let's go to the answers.

1 - I don't understand the question? Cna you to explain better?

2 - Yes, you need a boot server with the same processor architecture to restore the client.

3 - Yes, you need a boot server with the same OS installed for restore the client. For example, if your environment has a Suse Linux , Red Hat and Windows clients you need a boot server for each OS client to restoring.

4 - Yes, users can use the client, no problem about this.

5 - I do not know this option, where it is?

gumbo
Level 4

1. If you launched the 'Prepare to Restore' dialog box, there is an option to 'Use policy'. My question is what is the purpose of linking a policy to a restore? I saw no visible difference between a restore with 'Use policy' checked and a restore with 'use policy' unchecked.

2. Can I have more clarification on your answer? Yes the document is correct in saying "Win SRT can restore all Win system" or yes my assumption is correct?

3.  I understand your response but does that mean the master can be of any OS as long as the boot server OS matches the requirement?

4. Follow up question. If a user was using the machine and he was altering files, while a restore is happening at the same time, will BMR backup the file he has altered or the old file?

5. This option is also in a 'Prepare to Restore'. 'Restore system disks/volumes only'. The BMR admin guide said checking this box will lead to an import of the other file system.

Thanks!

Anderson_R__Gom
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

1 - Hummmm, I don't know this option, I never used this. I guess it does not interfere with anything

2 - I think for each version of Windows 2003 (Standart, Enterprise, Datacenter) is necessary one Boot Server. I always didi a restore for Enterprise version, I never did a restore for another versions.

3 - yes, the version of Master Server don't matter, what is very important, is the version of Boot Server, must be the same version of client.

4 - No problem because the netbackup backs up open files. 

5 - Hummmm, I always check this checkbox. My restorations always work 100%

gumbo
Level 4

4. Backing up open files. Does that mean it backs up both the unaltered file and the altered file?

gumbo
Level 4

If anyone else wants to chime in, I would appreciate more clarification on questions 1, 2 and 5. :)

Thanks!

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Here are answers:

<Mandar> You may have protected your client using more than one policy and you may want to restore client data backed-up by a particular policy where this option helps.

<Mandar> Irrespective of BMR Boot server OS (i.e. windows 2003 or windows 2008) and architecture (32 bit or 64 bit), you can create SRT of architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) on that boot server. Using this boot server, to restore windows client (either 2k3 or 2k8) of architecture 32-bit, you have to use 32-bit srt. And for windows client 64-bit restoration, you need to use 64-bit SRT.

I hope this is clear.

<Mandar> Are you talking about below options?

a. Restore system disks/volumes only

b. Make availablevolumesonnon-restoreddisksafterthesystem
is restored (This import)

When b is marked, non-selected volumes ( refer bmrconfig GUI) will not be restored and BMR will try to just import them.

In your example, if system only restore and import options both are selected and non-system volumes are crashed then BMR will not restore them as its system-only restore and import process will fail as the non-system volumes are crashed.

Thanks.

-Mandar

gumbo
Level 4

Exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

Mandar, you've been an immense help during my entire bmr-test cycle. Thanks again!