Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR recovery stay Finalizing

blanco_adalbert
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Every One!!

I would like to know if somebody know why BMR after recovery stays in the finalizing stage.

The Master server is Netbackup 7.0.1 on Redhat and BMR client is Windows 2008 R2 64 bits. I have run the BMR restore but when it finish recovery and after reboot the server does not start and the bmr task stays finalizing status.

Best regads.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Hello, I have opened this case because when i use bmr to recover a bare metal recovery client, it does not start and a black screen appear.

I was finding out how to solve this issue and i found the next url.

Upon BMR recovery of a Windows 2008 SP2 client using NetBackup Bare Metal Restore 7.0.1, a blank screen appears, and server cannot be accessed

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH138713

So because Windows 7 & windows server 2008 has a partition where the boot database is stored, when the recovery runs BMR assigns to the database partition the drive letter c: and the system drive is letter d:.

To solve this issue is needed to open a support case and ask for a package to fix this issue due to:  This behavior is due to BMR not properly copying in place on the client, a successfully restored system file required for the operating system to completely come on line.

Solution

If this issue is experienced, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and Etrack 2143165 to obtain a fix for this issue.

Best regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Actual problem is "the server does not start". Please tell us more about your environment like:

• Hardware model and its compoent(especially internal storage controller and NIC)
  • UEFI or BIOS
  • GPT or MBR
  • OS and NetBackup version of BMR boot server
  • Recover to original hardware, or new hardware
  • Dessimilar restore or not
  • What happened after reboot? Blue Screen? No bootstrap?

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Thank you for replying.

Actually I am using VMware workstation because I need to implement it and I am trying to review the steps needed to implement NBU/BMR 7.0.1. Also I did the configuration and recovery test using BMR using Netbackup 7.5 in the same VMware enviroment and it works.

My customer has Netbackup 7.0.5 and there are not an upgrade plan to 7.5. Initially my customer has had nbu 6.0 and one of my partners said them that  BMR only works with 6.5, then, my customer upgraded to 6.5 but still does not work, so  other of my partners said !!OH no no, actually BMR only works with NBU 7.0, so my customer upgraded to NBU 7.0. So I need to implement BMR on NBU 7.0.1.

I hope some body could tell me if it has implemented and it works on Windows 2008 32/64 bits using Netbackup 7.0.5.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

This generally happens when client boots up its ip is not up for that NW environment. Due to this client fails to contact master server to update BMR status which happens during first boot post recovery.

Dont worry about this problem if your client is up and running well. make sure your nw is configured and you can ping other nw machines.

thanks.

mandar

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Hello, I have opened this case because when i use bmr to recover a bare metal recovery client, it does not start and a black screen appear.

I was finding out how to solve this issue and i found the next url.

Upon BMR recovery of a Windows 2008 SP2 client using NetBackup Bare Metal Restore 7.0.1, a blank screen appears, and server cannot be accessed

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH138713

So because Windows 7 & windows server 2008 has a partition where the boot database is stored, when the recovery runs BMR assigns to the database partition the drive letter c: and the system drive is letter d:.

To solve this issue is needed to open a support case and ask for a package to fix this issue due to:  This behavior is due to BMR not properly copying in place on the client, a successfully restored system file required for the operating system to completely come on line.

Solution

If this issue is experienced, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and Etrack 2143165 to obtain a fix for this issue.

Best regards