cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR restoration failed "cdrom\Solaris_10\Tools\Boot\sbin/install-setup tmp/boot.info: not found"

mnakhan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

in my environment i have solaris x86 platform servers;

NetBackup Master/Media/BMRbootServer : Solaris 10, Generic_141445-09 i86pc i386

Netbackup version: 7.5

NetBackup Client: Solaris 10, Generic_141445-09 i86pc i386.

Netbackup Version: 7.5

Both daemons are running.

bash-3.00# ps -ef | grep bmr

root  1453     1   0 12:36:14 ?            /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bmrbd

root 28349     1   0 12:08:29 ?           /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bmrd

root 13353 24496   0 15:13:53 pts/6        grep bmr

i am using a bootable SRT ISO image. locally copy on my laptop and access the client machine via ILOM GUI->select devices->check the box of CDROM Image.

after writting all info of client and master server i got the error "cdrom\Solaris_10\Tools\Boot\sbin/install-setup tmp/boot.info: not found"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Solaris10_x86 is based on Intel/AMD CPU hardware.  It uses PXE style network booting in the same manner as Windows and Linux clients. BMR emulates all of the native OS network boot processes. A restriction to PXE is that the booting client must be on the same network segment as the Boot Server.

The BMR 7.5 Admin Guide has a section specific for all of the requirements. See the section "Boot server requirements". And as I previously stated, the following software and services are required on the Solaris10_X86 Boot Server:

TFTP Server
DHCP Server
NFS Server

An SRT used for a client restore must be at a kernel version as high or higher than the client image being restored.  The SRT kernel version created on a Boot Server can only be as high as the kernel version of the Boot Server used to create and host it.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am using a bootable SRT ISO image. locally copy on my laptop 

It does not seem as if this method is going to work...

The Windows-type paths is clearly a problem: 

"cdrom\Solaris_10\Tools\Boot\sbin/install-setup tmp/boot.info: not found"

Why not configure the master as network boot server?

Else, you will need to create a proper boot cd/dvd. 

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

When using a media based SRT, the Boot server is not part of the activity. All of this action is taking place on the client itself. The BMR boot process for media boot will do a CDRFS type mount of the CDROM to access the SRT file systems.  That most likely is the root of the issue for you.  And, as previously noted, the path with Windows based path information does appear to be problematic

If the client and the Master are both on the same network segment, then a network boot would be feasible, assuming the correct services are in place on the Master, It would be a PXE boot so DHCP, NFS and tftp services on the Boot Server would be required.

And to be totally saisfied with the ISO, mount it and ensure that the file in question really resides there.

mnakhan
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

you mean without bootable cd/dvd its not possible to restore it.

mnakhan
Level 5

i have one more query if have different upgrades of solaris x86 installed (like solaris 10 u6, solaris 10 u8 etc) in my environment. i have to build  separate BMR boot server for solaris 10u6 and separate BMR boot server for Solaris u8.

mnakhan
Level 5

ignor my last comment

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If all on same subnet, use the master server as network boot server. It works similar to Solaris jumpstart server. Please see the manual and Jaime's post above.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Solaris10_x86 is based on Intel/AMD CPU hardware.  It uses PXE style network booting in the same manner as Windows and Linux clients. BMR emulates all of the native OS network boot processes. A restriction to PXE is that the booting client must be on the same network segment as the Boot Server.

The BMR 7.5 Admin Guide has a section specific for all of the requirements. See the section "Boot server requirements". And as I previously stated, the following software and services are required on the Solaris10_X86 Boot Server:

TFTP Server
DHCP Server
NFS Server

An SRT used for a client restore must be at a kernel version as high or higher than the client image being restored.  The SRT kernel version created on a Boot Server can only be as high as the kernel version of the Boot Server used to create and host it.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I also wanted to pass along the following on Boot Servers:

For Solaris (SPARC and X86), a single Boot Server on a network segment is all that is need to recover any of the clients of the same architecture.  A Solaris SPARC server can only restore SPARC clients. Solaris 10_X86 can only restore the same type OS clients.

The Boot Server can host multiple SRT at different OS kernel versions but a single SRT at a kernel version as high or higher than the clients can be used for the recovery.

For SPARC, the only additional caveat is that a Solaris 10 U5 and lower client kernel version requires a Solaris 10 U5 or lower SRT kernel version. Solaris 10 U6 and higher client requires a Solaris 10 U6 or higher SRT. The "Prepare To Restore" logic on the Admin Console is cognizant of this and will not display an invalid SRT selection.

The kernel version of the backup image and the SRT do not have to match, although it will generate a WARNING message at Prepare To Restore time. The message can be safely ignored. For Solaris only, a lower kernel version SRT can be used to restore a higher version client image but having a kernel version at the highest allowed level is very much recommended.

katlamudi
Level 4
Employee

Hi mnakhan,

Regarding the error "cdrom\Solaris_10\Tools\Boot\sbin/install-setup tmp/boot.info: not found" during bmr restore,

1) How did u prepare the media based SRT? i.e., in BMR SRT CD/DVD based creation using BMRSRTADM, user will be asked to select a Network based SRT using which media based SRT to be created. 

The network SRT you selected for ISO creation, was it used for 'Prepare To Restore' before? If yes, that could be a problem

2) Can you please try creating a fresh Network SRT and then use it for ISO creation and try restore using this new SRT ISO?

thanks,

Katlamudi

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

The fact that a network based SRT was previously used for a PTR should have zero impact on the creation of the ISO image.

The problem is most likely due to an issue with the ILOM setup.

When the failure occurs, does it drop into a command line? If so, do a "mount" command to see how the SRT file system was mounted.

mnakhan
Level 5

hi all thanks for your support.

i have recoved the server with the bootable srt.iso.  actually i have done all the machines form scratch, configure the dhcp, cross check all the process like bmrbd,bmrd,nfs,tftp,inetconv etc. creat new srt make its bootable image.

now i want to recover this sever with the help of NFS SRT. not using ISO of SRT. i have solaris x86_64 platform.  i also use the command

./add_install_client -e mac_client -s nbserver:path of srt client name i86p

select F12 option boot from network.

but no luck. system power up as routine procedure.

your quick response is highly appreciated. 

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

If using bootable (ISO/CD/DVD) media, nothing in the Boot Server is used as the media becomes the "boot server".  

Why did you that command? That is not part of BMR network recovery. The correct method is to do a Prepare To  Restore and specify the network based SRT in the selection panel. That will update the appropriate entries on the BMR Boot Server to handle the PXE boot request. It also adds all of the client specific restore files into the BMRDB for use at restore time.

The 'bmrprep' process, using the 'bmrbd' process on the Boot Server,  will update the dhcpd.conf file to reserve an IP address to the MAC address of the boot interface, as specified in the "Network Interfaces" section of the restore configuration used. You can look at the file on the Boot Server and see that (it will show "reserved by BMR"). It will also have done an NFS export of the SRT file system to the named client.Check that as well.

mnakhan
Level 5

thanks for support.

with out "./add_install_client" command its working and successfully restore.

once again thanks.