cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

BMR restore from Physical Windows Server 2008 to Virtual Windows Server 2008

marknolan66
Level 3

Hi,

I'm quite new to Netbackup and have been struggling with a BMR from a physical Windows 200 server to a virtual Windows 2008 server. I have completed the pre-requisite steps such as;

1) Creating the new client config from the source system

2) Editing the new client and changing the disks/network/routes

3) Creating the SRT/dhcp server/pxe config

4) Changing the host in /etc/hosts and fluching the cache

When it comes to "prepare to restore" the new restore client boots into Windows and the restore process starts and goes well until the restore disks section. This seems to work, but in the end an error message is displayed (attached)

Snap 2017-04-27 at 13.43.49.png

It's like BMR can't restore the boot section on the C drive or something. If I exit out of the BMR GUI, nothing seems to be restored. I don't know whether I should be able to see any files in the systems minimum booted state or not?

I've tried several different things with the disks, extending them etc, but nothing has worked so far.

The log file on the Master server has the following errors in;

4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:RestoreEFIPartition() sysVolMountPoint=U:
4 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() , bplist exitCode=0.
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() Restore command failed! Tried (bprestore -w   -L C:\BMR\nbulog.txt  -T  -R "X:\rename.txt"  -f "X:\listfile.txt" )--rc(5).
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of listFile ( 22 EFI System Partition:\ 1493204351 1493204351
 )
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestore() content of renameFile ( BMR BOOTDRIVELETTER C
BMR IDRRESTORE
rename 22 /EFI System Partition/ 3 /U:/
 )
1 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:RestoreEFIPartition() EFI partition fails to restore, rc=5
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestoreAllSystemFilesUsingShadowCopy() Failed to restore the EFI Partition, errorcode=5
2 DEBUG CWindowsRestoreStrategy.cpp:restoreFiles() Could not restore system state, rc=5
4 DEBUG CRestoreStrategy.cpp:retry() Retrying step: Restore Files
4 DEBUG CWinPeRestoreStrategy.cpp:updateStep() Retrying...
4 DEBUG CWinPeRestoreStrategy.cpp:step() Current step=Restore Files
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1493231184 for C:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1493143250 for C:\<?>
2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBUGetBackupDatePath() Ignoring non-TIR incremental backup 1493056848 for C:\<?>

I think I've covered everything.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Here is my finding.

Error:

2 DEBUG nbutils.cpp:NBURestoreAllSystemFilesUsingShadowCopy() Failed to restore the EFI Partition, errorcode=5
2 DEBUG CWindowsRestoreStrategy.cpp:restoreFiles() Could not restore system state, rc=5

Cause:

The original machine have EFI partition.

Solution:

The physical to virtual server restore consider as dissimilar restore (DSR). The DSR is not supported for EFI partition. BMR support only same system restore (Self Restore) for EFI partition.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What version of Netbackup are you running ?

There are some limitations with regards to EFI :

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000016595

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to add that ... it's v7.7.3

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Here is my finding.

Error:

Cause:

The original machine have EFI partition.

Solution:

The physical to virtual server restore consider as dissimilar restore (DSR). The DSR is not supported for EFI partition. BMR support only same system restore (Self Restore) for EFI partition.

Regards,

Thanks very much for the assistance.

I found another article as well that mentioned the same thing.

cheers,

Mark