cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR restore.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Hey i enrolled a Client on19th June. and first save ran on 20th June.Full backup is schedule to run Full on Monday and Tue-SunDifferential.. BMR is enabled for this.

Now i have to do BMR restore for first backup (20th June data). is it possible to restore from first backup which is differential by Schedule? Below is more details of backup.

Client Name Date Time Policy Backup Type Retention Scheduled
ABCD 6/20/2014 1:09:28 AM A_eMON02.ms1 Differential 3 weeks Incr
ABCD 6/21/2014 12:41:07 AM A_eMON02.ms1 Differential 3 weeks Incr
ABCD 6/22/2014 12:40:00 AM A_eMON02.ms1 Differential 3 weeks Incr
ABCD 6/23/2014 12:40:00 AM A_eMON02.ms1 Differential 3 weeks Incr
ABCD 6/24/2014 12:40:00 AM A_eMON02.ms1 Full_Monday 3 weeks Full
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Worked with support on this.. below error message we recieved. so this is not possible. 

The requested operation could not be completed.  The server returned code 1. [Error] V-126-8 Cannot find TrueImage date.  Please make sure a full backup of this client is available.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

If the first ever backup ran on the 20th then it would have taken a full even if the schedule was differential. NetBackup will see there is no full to base the diff on so it will take a full.

So yes, you can.

Marianne

Always a good idea to start with a Full schedule - even if it means you need to kick off this first backup manually.

Based on the picture that I have posted here: Difference between Incremental and Differential back up 
you can see the 1st Diff would have backed up everything because there is no Full backup to base the Differential on.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Ya that i know first differential would be full, but for BMR, this always look for Full save.. in My case Ops team trying to restore from 20th save but netbackup cating only 24th data, because there is only one full save. Netbackup is not picking 20th data as schedule for this was differential. 

My question is, is it possible to do BMR restore from first differential save/Backup?

Marianne

If I look at your opening post, we can see that a Full backup was taken yesterday.

Always best to use last Full for BMR.

Since you have a Full to restore from, this becomes a non-issue.

In future, always run a manual Full for new clients.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Ahh, some migration was happed on 22nd which is causing some application failure and we need to move back to 20th/21st data restore...  

Actually its a DMS client (Postgress Database), we cant start this at the time of enrollment. Thats mistake we need to have Full save on first start. I am going to implememt a plan on which we will enroll client in next full schedule policy. 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Put some ideas if someone have faced issue like so. 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Worked with support on this.. below error message we recieved. so this is not possible. 

The requested operation could not be completed.  The server returned code 1. [Error] V-126-8 Cannot find TrueImage date.  Please make sure a full backup of this client is available.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

When doing a BMR Point In Time (PIT) Restore, you need to create a configuration that mirrors the state of the client at that same time.  This is done by BMR in that it does a restore of the 'bundle.dat' file (the client configuration file) that is associated with the target date/time requested.  Note that the process is adding an end date ( -e option) to this in order to acquire the file it needs.  This date can be an INCR of any kind as long as there is an associated FULL backup available.  BMR requires that a FULL backup be available when doing a system recovery.  If the date/time is not a FULL, the recovery will start with the FULL and add on any associated INCR backups within the given time frame.

Based on the backup information you have provided, you cannot use BMR as the only FULL you have available is from 6/24.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

cant restore from first differential... so we need some other things. now will follow first ful save.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I find it a disturbing trend of a person opening up a entry with a problem, asking for assistance and then marking their own comment update as the solution. Others like myslef spent the effort to post information directly related to your inital posting and to be honest, what you marked as a "solution" really did not fully answer what the root cause was.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

There is no solution for this as we cant restore from first differential.. Me and symantec support both tried in lab but there is no luck.below is error while doing restore. 

The server returned code 1. [Error] V-126-8 Cannot find TrueImage date. 

James@Dude what you really looking for.. i worked and had solution only then i make my post as a soultion.. if you had posted same as i posted definetly your posted would be as solution...i spent 20 hours to troubleshoot this and then i got solution.. u just spent 5 min in ur post and u looking your post would be solution.. Never 

RiaanBadenhorst

The fact that you cannot solve your problem does not mean this specific question wasn't resolved. The issue is solved by making sure that you've run a real full as explained by Jamie. I learnt something new here, and so did you. You've been given a solution. You might not like the answer but its still the solution.

RiaanBadenhorst

Good luck with your next post my friend.

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

Riaan.Badenhorst@ I understand James is Master in BMR most of BMR queries is solved by him/her in Ne...

Riaan @ Look your post that you posted “So yes, you can." but we cant.. Who gave right answer first? who corrected you? who posted error that we will get while doing with first differential? if you will think on these questions, definitely u would be agreed whose post would be solution.. I am not happy with these fights for mark as solution.. i belive this is not a right forum to discus issue, Some seniors should look on this.