Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPCD still comparing to old master after move

AW365
Level 3

All

We have just migrated from a NB 6.5.6 environment to a new 7.5.6 one

All servers involved are Windows.

A client which has moved across is giving us a socket error, in the bpcd log the log connections and all the comparisons are being done against the old master server name.  Obviosly I've removed this server from the client properties, I've also confirmed the registry is listing the correct servers and the old master is not in there at all. I can't work out where the client is getting the old server name from and why the updated properties I've added have not taken affect.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. 

Perfectly normal, although it looks 'odd'.

If you search this forum for 'bptestbpcd' and '0.0.0.0' you will see that it is perfectly normal. e.g. this one: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-not-communicate#comment-9548741 

and this:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-fails-status-58-connection-refused-msg#comment... 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Connect to the client via the Host Properties on the new Master and go to its servers tab

Make sure the old master is not still listed and the its master at the top of the list - if it is select the name of the new master and select "make master"

On windows it would usually be held in the registry but perhaps you also have a configuration file calling it (bpstart_nofity.bat or similar?)

Also confirm that it is just a client and not a server as it could have other locations where the name is held

The details can also be cahced so a service re-start / wait 24 hours can also clear such connections

#edit#

That clear_host_cache doesn't exist in 6.5 - hence the service re-start / wait 24 hours

Better still upgrade the client

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

Have you tried the following, by any chance, on the client?

<install path>\Netbackup\bin\bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Previous solved Connect thread titled:

Joining Old Netbackup Clients to New Netbackup Master Server

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/joining-old-netbackup-clients-new-netbackup-master-server

AW365
Level 3

Yeah, upgrade was my last port of call but wanted to see if it was a known issue

THe new environment has no visability of the all of the old envronment and as stated above the old master was removed and the new master is listed as the master

I'll check the bpstart_nofity.bat, thanks

Al

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Anything like the bpstart .. or an ost-plugin type of thing .. most stuff is in the registry though with very few config files on windows

AW365
Level 3

Nicolai

If you read my original post you will see I have covered all of the points raised in this technote. I've confirmed I've made changes on both the client and master and that the old master does not appear ANYWHERE in the registry of the client

I'm not a newb

thanks

Al

Marianne

No 'known issue'. 

We have always managed to ensure 'clean' cutover to new master as follows:

On old master, add Server entry for new master to all clients using Host Properties.

Test connectivity from new master.
If connectivity is fine, use Host Properties on new master to 'Make Master' for itself.

If DB client, ensure that Master server entry is updated in backup script(s).

We have once seen that an Oracle client on Windows kept on trying to connect to old master, although all references to old master were removed.
Seems the master name was somehow kept in Oracle. Only when Oracle was restarted did rman backup connect to new master.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Worth searching the entire registry for the old master name .. if you have used that server before (opened the BAR GUI etc.) then there will also be HKCU\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\General that stores the server key .. so it can be user specific as well as machine specific

And if not you then someone else under HK_USERS\

AW365
Level 3

Sorry, realise people are trying to help but

as stated in my previous post

"the old master does not appear ANYWHERE in the registry of the client"

Not sure how this differs from the "entitre registry" but this is what I meant, anywhere as in......well anywhere

I've now uninstalled netbackup and reinstalled it using 7.5.  The install showed a conflict with an IBM Infosphere process which is using port 1556, I actually thought these were reserved for NB. I've got another server in the same boat which isn't having the problem.

Marianne

The install showed a conflict with an IBM Infosphere process which is using port 1556.
I actually thought these were reserved for NB.

Symantec has registered port 1556, but that does not prevent admins of other applications to use that port number.

Please speak to the IBM admins - they will have to change their port number. 

Show them this URL:  

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xml  

Registered port numbers are listed in numeric order.

AW365
Level 3

I tried a bptestbpcd which does now use the correct ip to do the initial connection and pbx works, but I get Abkicjubg ioeratuib us currently executing from 0.0.0.0 to client ip

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Check DNS for the clients own short and FQDN address - if it doesn't resolve itself properly it can cause an issue - though why that should make it try and talk to the old master i am not sure?

Marianne
Are you saying that connection now is fine but that you are wondering about the 0.0.0.0 IP address in bptestbpcd output? If so, this is actually perfectly normal (although it seems odd/wrong). I will post some examples a bit later.

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

As far as I understand, 0.0.0.0  means "listen on every available network interface".

Marianne

Correct. 

Perfectly normal, although it looks 'odd'.

If you search this forum for 'bptestbpcd' and '0.0.0.0' you will see that it is perfectly normal. e.g. this one: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-not-communicate#comment-9548741 

and this:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-fails-status-58-connection-refused-msg#comment...