cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPEXPDATE -deassignempty [ behaviour question ]

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

When using BPEXPDATE -deassignempty, does this take a tape which no longer contains a valid image and mark it as scratch?  The description in the command guide is not clear about this - at least to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rookie11
   VIP   

just to add : NBU runs this command every 12 hrs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

"The purpose of the bpexpdate -deassignempty command is to return a tape to scratch if all of the images on the tape have expired before the tape's expiration time has been reached"

"If the bpexpdate -deassignempty command is not being run, empty tapes (which no longer hold valid images) will not be made available for new backups until the tape's expiration time - this may be a long time in the future (or possibly never, if the tape's expiration time is infinity)"

-deassignempty should not be run on a tape that contain valid images. You can always run "bpimage -cleanup -allclients" if you can't wait for Netbackup to do the periodic release of media.

Hope that answer the qustion

Best Regards

Nicolai

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Per the command manual:

"Searches the catalog for the removable media that no longer contain valid backups. It removes the media from the media catalog and removes the media IDs in the Media Manager catalog"

I read this as I do not have control over which media (which is fine with me), but I am concerned  when you said:

"-deassignempty should not be run on a tape that contain valid images."

Why is this?

rookie11
   VIP   

just to add : NBU runs this command every 12 hrs.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

If this is the case, it makes this process kind of idiot proof.

Thanks!

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Your were correct!  Now, where did you read/find this information?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Because it will scratch it - but the NBU Catalog still need it for restore.

When Netbackup run the command it of cause ensure it has no valid images on it (all expired).

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

There are a few T/Ns (& forum posts too) that cover this, but it is also at the beginning of the T/N that Nicolai quoted:

This command should be run periodically by nbpem, according to the Image Cleanup Interval, which by default is 12 hours.