cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUP Mount Points with Netbackup

yobole
Level 6
NetBackup and Mount points We have a Netbackup7.6.04 environment and need to set up a new policy for a windows 2012 R2 cluster. We have created 4 mounts points on the D volume with \\server\D$\StoreEasyData1 \\server\D$\StoreEasyData2 \\server\D$\StoreEasyData3 \\server\D$\StoreEasyData4 Each volume will grow to a maximum of 2TB Do I just need to create a Policy Type MS-windows with a selection List of the mount points \\server\D$\StoreEasyData1 ??? Can I add all the 4 mounts points in the same policy ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Yobole !

- you should use one or more policies of type MS-windows

- as a client you should use the logical host

- the selection list is D:\StoreEasyData1 ... D:\StorEasyData4

It is possible to backup all 4 mountpoints in one policy. But may be it make more sense to split them in 2 ore 4 policies. It depend on the speed of backup, backup target selection etc.

Are these 4 MountPoints really 4 Filesystems or only 4 directories on Drive D: ? In last case it will be sufficient to select D:\. (it will work with mountpoibts too if you select follow cross mounts, but I dislike this)

ciao

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Yobole !

- you should use one or more policies of type MS-windows

- as a client you should use the logical host

- the selection list is D:\StoreEasyData1 ... D:\StorEasyData4

It is possible to backup all 4 mountpoints in one policy. But may be it make more sense to split them in 2 ore 4 policies. It depend on the speed of backup, backup target selection etc.

Are these 4 MountPoints really 4 Filesystems or only 4 directories on Drive D: ? In last case it will be sufficient to select D:\. (it will work with mountpoibts too if you select follow cross mounts, but I dislike this)

ciao

Martin

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Using 1 or 4 policies is just a qustion of granularity in control. If you want to schedule backup of each mount point individual go for 4 policies. If you want simplicity go for one.

You need to specify the cluster ressource name and drive - e.g.:

cluster-name-easydata1 e:\StoreEasyData1

Ensure "cross mount point" is checkmarked in the policy.

bbahnmiller
Level 4

I pretty much agree with Nicolai. But I like to make sure that everything is backed up on a server whenever possible. And I also try to avoid hard-coding things as much as possible - drive letters - so as to reduce errors and maintenance. So I would try a minimum of 3 policies.

ServerA - Cross mount points, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Exclude D:\,E:\ (and whatever other data drives may exist)

ServerB - Cross mount points, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Exclude D:\,E:\

ServerVirt - Cross mount points, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Exclude C:\, "Shadow Copy Components;\"

The exception that can drive you crazy is when they mount data drives under C:\. That can drive you crazy.

Bryan